Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   GL1100 Master Cylinder upgrade (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/335241-gl1100-master-cylinder-upgrade.html)

84GrayWing 09-29-2009 04:52 PM

imported post

Ok, I've read some about the front brakes on the 1100 not being the best in the world. I'm guessing that the weak link would be the master cylinder. What I'm thinking about doing is going with a more up to date master cylinder on the bike. I would like to try and use the master cylinder from an ST1300 or the GL1800. Is this possible? I know the newer bikes have linked systems but I was thinking I could still go direct to the front caliper on the 1100 because it is just a hydraulic system that applies fluid pressure wherever the lines are routed correct? I'm ready for any flaming I may get but I dig old school stuff with new school safety.

Jeff

Sakryn 09-29-2009 06:20 PM

imported post

Since I have to change an old cracked leaky master cylinder on my bike I would love to know this as well. If it isn't possible I guess I will have to try and find one to replace over the "non-riding" season.

Blaine

William_86 09-29-2009 06:28 PM

imported post

22 Attachment(s)
it doesn't have to be new.. it must be bigger :)

Bschofield 09-29-2009 06:37 PM

imported post

William_86 wrote:
Quote:

it doesn't have to be new.. it must be bigger :)
to clarify, the plunger must be bigger, not necessarily the fluid reservoir..correct?

84GrayWing 09-29-2009 06:47 PM

imported post

The reason I mentioned ST and GL1800 is they are both fairly heavy bikes and seem to be able to stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change. I don't know what bigger means in the master cylinder sense. I don't want to link my brakes, I think that would be a little over my realm of talent.

jeff

84GrayWing 09-29-2009 06:48 PM

imported post

If this works I may do the 1200 too, it has the mushiest brakes I've ever had. The only thing that bothers me about that bike.

Jeff

peterbilt 09-29-2009 07:27 PM

imported post

my dad has an 07 fat boy and his front master cylinder isnt any bigger than mine the only thing i noticed is that his lines are brand new and dont "flex" under a brake action

on mine they flex alittle but im going to put stainless hoses on mine this winter rember alittle flex means pressure lost i dont think changing the mastercylder from one to another would really matter too much they all put out about the same pressure im sure they differ alittle but basically they are all the same try better brake pads or try racing rotors with relief holes drilled in them lol but if you need those on a wing your goin WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too fast

DaveO430 09-29-2009 07:52 PM

imported post

There is more to it than the master cylinder. If everything is working right you will have decent brakes but the older bikes didn't have enough friction area to have the braking power of the newer ones. You could make improvements with new brake lines and a different master cyl. but it actually would have to be a smaller piston or different fulcrum point for the lever to apply more pressure to the calipers. Calipers with larger pistons and/or larger pads and larger rotors would be great if you could find something that would work.

Bagmaster 09-29-2009 08:48 PM

imported post

Stainless steel brake lines seem to help a lot of folks on the older bikes. My brakes on my 82 feel real good so I haven't up-graded the lines yet but may do so next year if I still have this bike.

Big Port Jimmy 6 09-29-2009 08:52 PM

imported post

I have a CBR 600F3 Master on mine. I am satisfied with it so far, I unlinked the brakes and will change out the "small" caliper with one from an 82 this winter. New stainless lines will help also. Dave has it right above, a larger piston diameter means only more volume not pressure, a smaller bor will increase the pressure. Upgrading your pads will also make a difference. Jay