Damn, Stupid stupid stupid.....Arggggg!!! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Memory

Model: 2012 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

I think I messed up my GL1500. I was in heavey traffic and stopped waiting for a Cager to turn left with asses whipping around me like I wasnt even there. When I got the chance I hammered down and got the hell outta Dodge. Immediatly I noticed a knocking noise comming from my lowerleft toe area only when sitting still at a light. When I start out from a stop and let the clutch out I get a jerky jumpy start right off the line and then it smoothes out and the noises are gone until the next light. I don't hear any difference when it is in gear, outta gear, clutch is in or out.

Did I toast my clutch? Did I bend something inside?

I have been having a clicking noise that I addressed in another post but this is totally new and different.

Slow Ride, Take it easy....Yea Right!
2012 GL1800 Gold Wing

The Wingman Moto VLog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Or just search "Wingman Moto"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I don't think so.

I drove my 1500 like it was a dirt bike, nearly all the time. wrap it out hard until the limiter kept it from going any higher.

It never complained.

The only thing you might have done, was in the tenseness of the moment, you may have jammed the shift forks a tad bit too hard.

If it is still shifting like it always has, I would just drop the oil, change the filter, and keep riding.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Memory

Garage
Post imported post

OK, that gives me mixed emotions. On one hand I feel better about the durability from your experiences with yours but on the other hand (Being a newbee to goldwings)
jamming the shifter forks too hard sounds bad and I dont understand how changing out the oil and filter will fix jamming damage to the forks. I trust you but I just dont make the connection other than possible metal frags in the oil. Any more explanation on why and what damage I did that might not go away?

2012 GL1800 Gold Wing

The Wingman Moto VLog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 03:38 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Post imported post

I would agree, I fail to see where an oil and filter change would have any effect on jammed or bent shifter forks.

If you revved it up pretty hard, there is a possibility a little piece of carbon could have flaked off and might be laying on top of a piston causing the knocking noise.

Let me tell you a little story about that...........

One day when working on my wife's 1973 Olds, I revved it up pretty hard. Immediately, it started knocking when idling. I called my brother-in-law who is a pretty good mechanic. He advised to poor a bottle or two of water down the carburetor while keeping the RPM's up a little. I did and the knocking stopped.

The cold water dissolved the carbon on the top of the piston and all was well.

Another thing you may want to check is the manifold mounting bolts. A friend of mine was absolutely convinced he had a valve problem making a tapping noise particularly at idle RPM's. Then one day while doing some maintenance, he noticed the nuts holding the exhaust header to the engine were loose. He tightened them up and that fixed his valve problem..........

Just a few thoughts.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 03:47 PM

Post imported post

Using water seems be the flavour of the month at the moment, https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/79421.html

Adrian
2002 GL1800A2 Orange Aug 09. We Love It
RoSPA Gold Advanced Rider and Tutor
IBA UK

RBLR1000 2010, 2011. RBLR1500BBG 2012

Pain is Temporary, Pride is Forever
\'02\' GL1800 A2, My First 1800 Aug 09
\'88\' GL1500 (Japanese Import)My First 1500 May 2008 (Moved on to make room for above bike)
\'80\' GL1100 Fully dressed ex standard Apr 2006 (Moved on to make room for above bike)
\'81\' GL1100 DBX Feb 2001 (Deceased Apr 2006)
\'80\' CB250N 1982 (Gone)
\'79\' CB250N 1980 (Wrote off)
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Memory

Garage
Post imported post

Ohhh, Im feeling sick again. Bent shifters, carbon bolders in my cylinders, clutch in pieces, Oil bursting into flames, Metal bolts in my filter! Oh noooo!! I am DOOMED~

2012 GL1800 Gold Wing

The Wingman Moto VLog

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

just to rule out a bent shifter with the engine running put it in first gear while holding the clutch in put your toe under the shifter and put a little pressure up not enough to make it shift to second and see if the noise goes away

Peter

I have had dreams and i have had nightmares i now dont have nightmares because of my dreams
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Memory

Garage
Post imported post

Great suggestion. I will try that in the morning. I am at the station tonight so unless I get a Vacation night I am stuck here till 8am. I will let you know what happens.

THANKS!

2012 GL1800 Gold Wing

The Wingman Moto VLog

post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

you may just have moved the toe shifter to hit the exhaust manafold it fits in between it and is a tight fit what year is your bike

Peter

I have had dreams and i have had nightmares i now dont have nightmares because of my dreams
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Memory

Garage
Post imported post

Its a 1988 but what makes me think something big is screwed is the jumpping or lurching when taking off in first. Almost like the clutch is grabbing and releasing really fast. An almost shaking start out if that makes since. Once it is moving the noise is gone and the jumping is gone. I will check the shifter though, I cant lose. Thanks!

2012 GL1800 Gold Wing

The Wingman Moto VLog

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page