headlights - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

has anyone installed led headlights and/or led foglights? do they work/look good. are as bright or brighter than regular headlights

89 gl1500
86 gl1200 interstate
84 gl1200 standard
87 kawasaki 454 LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 12:31 PM

Post imported post

I don't think the LED technology right now is capable of making an effective headlight. LED's are more to be seen, than to see with. Yes they make LED flashlights...but that is for upclose and limitedillumination.

As far as the foglights, I know MotherHonda sells them for the 1800, but I still don't see them as capable of useable light for the rider.

Snorebaby (Doug) and Snorebabe (Michele)
'15 GL1800 Scarlett

'90 GL 1500 SE Pearl
'86 CMX450 Rebel
'85 GL1200 LTD---SOLD
Patriot Guard Riders #137660

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I ain't drunk, but I have been drinkin'. (beenshot)

"Carrots & Pickles, Attorneys at Law" (Wingnumberone)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 01:11 PM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Leds are very bright, but the light output is not even close to a 35W halogen bulb, if you want more light and use less power, install a 35w hid xenon bulb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 04:23 PM

Post imported post

Like HID's, they aren't DOT legal, and not because they aren't bright......they are plenty bright.

That said, couple of companies making them for the offroad world..........and let me tell you.......they are BRIGHT! Like HID bright, like put high output halogen's and HID's to shame bright.....with almost no draw. These lights will burn yourretinas. They are made to run at near a 100 mph in the desert.........and theyputOEM and standard halogen lights to absolute shame....not even in the samerealm.

Saw a set demo'd by a guy in Baja who had them on his XR650 he was prerunning the course with. They were set up on billet aluminumbars, each bar was about 8 inches long, and 2 inches high. The middle bar was set up with a centered, long distance focus. The top bar had a left oriented focus, with a short beam, and the bottom bar was right oriented with a short beam. The mounting bracket and designe of the bars and the LED mounts inside them were such that you could manipulate and move the focus of the individual rows of LED's as needed. The light output was sufficient for B1K, IE, running at 90+ mph offroad at night. Somewhere I've got pics and a business card.

The design intent was more light, less energy and the robustness of LED's.....IE, with HID's orHOH's, you break one or two bulbs......you're done. With the LED's.......you can breakquite a few of thedozens in the light mount and still be in the race.

Probably find the company that makes 'em or similar googling "offroad baja LED lights"

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 04:40 PM

Post imported post

Here's an offering from Baja Design's:

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-375/LED+HEADLIGHTS

A buddy tells me the ones we saw on the XR were a prototype made by Holder Offroad, which was bought out by Rigid Industries.

This is what made it to the market:

http://www.rigidindustries.com/product_p/rgdac10mt.htm

Very similar to the setup I saw. A grand seems like a lot...but remember, these are high output offroad lights.......probably 20X more light than your OEM headlight and very much totally illegal. You are also paying a significant amount of money to still have light after eating major sh!t.

You can get toned down variants for under 250.00 bucks. This one is basically 2x the output of a single standard halogen headlight:

http://www.rigidindustries.com/product_p/rgdl04.htm

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

was not looking to blind anybody folks. I just wandered if the LED headlights are comparable to halogen bulbs. I can get a good buy on LED headlights and thought it would save energy.(stator) on gl1200 especially. Just wanted to know if anybody tried LED headlights. Found a site where I can buy LED h-4 headlight. Sorry about confusion. Just want to replace original headlight bulb with equivalent LED headlight bulb.

89 gl1500
86 gl1200 interstate
84 gl1200 standard
87 kawasaki 454 LTD
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 10:05 PM
jar

Post imported post

Its ok siebo, sometimes folks here take off on a different path at times, but the eventually make it back - LOL

If you decide to get the LED headlight, let me know how it works

GOD Bless,
jerry

1984 GL1200 Interstate

Romans 6:23

Member-CMA-Christian Motorcyclists Association
SwordBearers For Christ, Chapter 49
Independence, MO

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

will do, Jar. Just don't know if it is a big advantage point to replace with LEDs. Guess I will do it when original bulb goes.

89 gl1500
86 gl1200 interstate
84 gl1200 standard
87 kawasaki 454 LTD
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Post imported post

Yea, offroad.! only 5.7amp current draw.. 69 watts. 6000 lumens? ONLY $999.99 ea.... anybody want to loan me a dollar?.

knowbuddy
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 02:09 PM

Post imported post

Curiouse about the LED headlight as well. Considering replaceing everything with LED. Signals and brakes sure but I do alot of night riding and just not sold on LED headlights.

If you can\'t take care of it, give it away!!!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page