front brake bleeding on the 1980 gl 1100 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I had to rebuild the front master cylinder and both wheel cylinders on my 1980 gl 1100. i filled the reservoir with fluid and when i try to bleed the system the master cylinder is not getting pressure. am i suppose to prime the master cylinder like a car first? my clymer manual does not tell me to. i am stumped! any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:08 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 SE
Post imported post

Take the line off the master cylinder, then put your finger over the hole where the brake line was. Pull in the lever and slowly let your finger up slightly to "burp" the air out of the master. Push your finger back over the hole before you let up on the lever. Let air out, but not back in.

Once that is done, hook up the line and work the end of the line the same way.

1997 GL1500 SE Pearl Sapphire Black
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Ole Guy

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 Interstate
Garage
Post imported post

Here is a simple, homemade vacuum bleeder to bleed the brakes. Look at Post 33 in this link for bleeding the brakes with an inexpensive bleeder (6 or 7 bucks). This is the final homemade method when all else fails to purge trapped air. It includes a picture of a homemade bleeder that uses vacuum suction. Always try the easiest methods first. If they don't work, try this one.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/49544-2.html

This one is a simple spray bottle pump that is used to suck fluid through also. These spray pumps can pull about 10 to 12 Hgs with several squeezes or less: https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/drwIndex.php

Check this thread out too: https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...light=bleeding

You can also search for bleeding brakes or clutches.

Ole Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 AM

Model: 1982 GL1100 Standard
Post imported post

Make sure the very small hole in the bottom of the master cylinder is cleaned out. I had to take each hose off the calipers separately and get fluid to bleed down. Than I took the calipers off one at a time and put a piece of 3/8 plywood between the pistons to keep them from blowing out. Slowly squeezed the brake handle to expand the pistons and fill the void behind them with fluid. Keeping the master cylinder full all the time. Than I opened the bleed screw and released the air. A couple of times doing that, the air was pretty much gone. I installed the calipers, filled the master with fluid, than wrapped a bungie cord around the brake handle over night. Cracked the bleed screws in the morning and got the last bit of air. I know it sounds like a pain in the butt to do it this way, but the front brakes on my 82 GL are tight. Hope this helps
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page