81 GL1100 Front Left brake Caliper Housing rubs against disc - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Problems putting front tire back on.

Could use a little help with this one. I recently pulled the front wheel off and put on new bearings new brake pads and new rubber on the front. When I put the front tire back on the left side brake caliper housing would rub againt the disc. I understand there is supposed to be .07 inches of clearance between the disc and the caliper on both sides, but I can't seem to mount the wheel to achieve that. I know there is a procedure where you pull on the right fork to achieve clearance on the right side, but I have plenty of clearance on that side. I'm just having problems with the left side. Is there anything I can do short of grinding some material off the caliper?

-Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 08:03 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

Something on the axle must be assembled incorrectly. If it fit before it should fit now.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 08:30 PM

Model: GL1100I
Post imported post

If you have put everything back correctly there is only one thing that would cause it to rub.

Take the bolts alose that hold the caliper[not caliper mount to fork].The barrels that the bolts go into have shoulders that have to fit perfectly onto the caliper.Best way to make sure you do not have that happen is: start bolts into nuts,pull on bolt gently to get it to match up ,then tighten. Got to eyeball itwhile you are tightening.

1981 GL1100I Keep it vertical! Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I almost forgot, I rebuilt the forks too, could the combination of fork alignment and wheel alignment throw everthing off?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 08:55 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

That is a possibility. If it has a fork brace and it was tightened before the wheel was installed and the axle clamps tightened it might cause a misalignment or if the tubes were enough out of alignment in the tripple clamps, maybe. Loosen everything except the axle caps, give it all a little shake and see if it will align.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

Hi Flyboy,

I'd start by aligning the forks. Loosen everything including all the brake caliper bolts, lower triple clamp bolts and fork brace. Then tighten the upper triple clamp bolts.

Set the front tire against a solid object. A 4X4 will do if you can keep it from sliding. Pump the forks up and down several times. Note: Do not hold the brake!

Tighten everything from the top down except the brake mounting bolts.

It's important you don't wiggle the forks while doing this and the tightening proceedure must be from the top down.

Once all that is done, re-tighten the brake mountingbrackets, then thecalipers.

If the caliper still rubs, the brakes are installed wrong.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:38 PM

Post imported post

i think did a 1200 while back and put a spacer or axle in wrong spot and it was a little off and rubbing...what the hell!...finally figured the obvious.

91 GL1500
91 Electraglide
A prior Buffet of GL l000\'s,1100s\',1200s\'
had Some nice old 650 trumpets...(fun!!)
many dirt and streets..cant remember!!

Ask the wrench god 1st!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:17 PM

Post imported post

The factory manual has detailed instructions for installing the front wheel and it differs from the 80-82 and the 83. I would not advise doing any grinding as obviously there was no problem before. This is one of the times when a copy of the factory manual is important as it can make the diferance between having a safe or a dangerous ride. Don't take chances with anything involving the brakes or suspension. Manual copies can be found online at places such as www. Helm inc. com. It's cheap insurance. Good luck, Bob

Bob, why me? cross? 1981 gl1100 standard
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:33 AM

Post imported post

Hi,i had this trouble with a bmw before it realy got me going,in the end i slackened of the wheel clamps applied the front brake and held it with a cable tie and then tightened the wheel back up,bingo it worked might be worth a go,good luck john.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 PM

Location: Fromerly-Rhode Island. Currently, Kansas City KS USA
Year: 1998
Make: Honda
Model: Goldwing SE
Post imported post

I had a clearance issue when I did all the front end work on my 1100. I never did get the specified clearance, but it wasn't rubbing...it still isn't.

Scott
1990 GL1500A
1982 GL 1100I "Phoenix"
1984 VF 1100 Magna (rocket ship)sold
Road Captain,CMA Chapter
God\'s Posse
Luke 19:10

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page