Repaint or not - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hey guys,I'm looking for a little advice on what to do concerning the pin stripping on a 1985 wineberry color interstate,the paint is in not bad but the pin stripping looks bad.I understand that this is a common problem on older wings,it looks like the adhesive on the stripping has degraded over time,I really don't want to repaint the whole thing because as I said the paint itself is not bad.Just wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with this problem or suggestions. Thanks RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

There have been a few threads on this, most recommend removing the pin striping and just replacing it.

Easy Off oven cleaner is one method that has been suggested.

More experienced help will be here shortly.

EDIT: found these

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/33025.html

Found this in the Hint 'n Kinks by Steve Saunders:
[align=left]Transfers/Pinstripes. If you are respraying a Goldwing panel that has a pinstripe which needs replacing, a word of caution. These stripes go on the base coat of paint, before the lacquer. The adhesive on these stripes is really strong and if you get it wrong you won't be able to pull the stripe off for repositioning, it will either just break or the paint will tear off or both. I defy anyone to prove me wrong. The way around this is easy enough. Before you apply the stripe, wet the panel ( make sure that the base coat paint is dry ) and slide the stripe into position. When you are happy with the positioning, gently press the stripe down with a soft cloth and leave to dry. After the water has dried fully, press the stripe down again and spray the lacquer coats as normal.[/b][/align][align=left]
[/b][/align][align=left]
[/b]
[/align]

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:54 PM

Post imported post

try the easy off but don't let it sit too long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Just me.

Model: 1982 GL1100A
Garage
Post imported post

If the stripes are NOT under the clearcoat, I would suggest getting a pinstripe eraser from the local suppl house (parts store). It is a gum eraser that you mount in a drill, it will take off the stripes without hurting the paint. If you have a REAL steady hand, I've taken them off with a single edged razor blade. Caution, not recommended for beginners. LOL

One day you will no longer be the big dog...
just the old dog....

and it\'s nice to be surrounded by friends
PGR Member

previous bikes
74 550-4
73 500=4
75 GL1000
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 01:21 PM

Model: 1993 trike i built Mine all Mine.
Post imported post

steve must had a pint or 2 when he wrote that.
i've been stripping for a long. long long long time and i have pulled the replacement stripes on and off to repostion a bunch. never had a problem. you just don't stick um until you have them where you want them. decals i do with water and squeegee and cloth.
he is right on some are [most factory strips]under the clear coat on the older bikes.they can't be removed whitout sanding in some way. unless the clear has deteriated off them.
if you have above paint stripes a heat gun will remove them easy. unless they are painted on. these can be removed if your careful with solvent. very careful. most have to be sanded off and the paint buffed back to shine.
if you just have some broken or missing stripes you can always just get matching stripes and go over whats on the original.
remove any loose stripes. clean the surface with alcohol and position the new stripes over the entire old stripes. now this is a quicky and i would only do it if you can't get all the old stripes off without damaging your paint and after all attemps have been made to remove them has failed. but it will last unless some of the old stripes come loose again. but it is easy and cheap to repair again.
you can get good quality stripe rolls at most parts store and paint suppliers or you can let a pro repinstrip it for you with real paint.

just do it and ask questions later. if you never start you\'ll never finish.

PGR # 190570
cc permit
1988 1500 trike to be
1980 cb900 custom
gl 1988 1500 trike sold
2003 flhtuci sold
gl 1986 1200 trike sold
gl 1984 1200 trike sold
first bike cb 160 honda
to many to list in between
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hey guys,sorry I didn't mention this before but mine is the factory stripping UNDER a clear coat,and I'm not sure anything but sanding them off or stripping over them will work,I'm leaning toward the later because sanding them would be a lot of work and if I go that far might as well paint the whole thing.Still looking for alternatives RR
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 02:34 PM

Post imported post

no alternatives left sorry.if part of them are missing means the clear is not very heavy over them. part of the clear coat has deteriorated. you may be able to razor blade them off if your careful. keep a sharp blade.
other than that.you can either sand them off. try and razor blade them off as stated. you'll have to be very careful and this can and probably will damage your clear. or stripe over them with either stripe tape or real paint.
anything else and you'll be doing a complete paint job.
i've been painting a long time and i'd just stripe over them until your ready for an overall. it will look good just take your time. don't press on them until your ready for them to stay. or just bring it up here after the snow melts and i'll do it for you.

PGR # 190570
cc permit
1988 1500 trike to be
1980 cb900 custom
gl 1988 1500 trike sold
2003 flhtuci sold
gl 1986 1200 trike sold
gl 1984 1200 trike sold
first bike cb 160 honda
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 02:43 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

Personally I think you are opening a can of worms. Unless the bike looks really bad the missing bits are best renamed character lines.

As an alternate put wider ones on over the existing ones. You can buy the stuff by the roll or have a vinyl sign shop make shaped corners etc.

The sign guy I know wets the surface as Steve mentioned.

Len
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 03:24 PM

Post imported post

the sign guy probably does it with the decals and wide stripe kits. i never seen anyone in a body shop use water with pin stripes.
not saying it want work. i've just never seen it done on small pin stripes.

PGR # 190570
cc permit
1988 1500 trike to be
1980 cb900 custom
gl 1988 1500 trike sold
2003 flhtuci sold
gl 1986 1200 trike sold
gl 1984 1200 trike sold
first bike cb 160 honda
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 03:36 PM

Post imported post

It's normal wear and tear and is better than the alternative which is staying in the garage. We don't get through this life without a few scars, why should our bikes?
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page