Rear 12 volt Power socket for passengers power supply - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: Premium Sound
Post imported post

We are back from our Hollywood ride. It went well and we picked up some heated gloves for her on the back. I need to find a good spot backby the passenger seat to mount a cigarrette lighter type power socket. I put one in up fron in my left compartment for my GPS but she needs one in the rear somewhere so she can use her gloves and charge her GPS. If anybody knows about this on a 2006 wing please drop me a note. Thanks a whole bunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:16 PM

Model: GL1000 1975 K1+GL1800 2006 airbag(US-model)+NRX1800 Rune 2004
Garage
Post imported post

i cant see iff you have a DRIVERS BACKREST. If you have , the pocket on the backside , is a good location ( or beside the pocket ).

The winner is the man with most tools !
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thank you I do have a backrest and bag but I want something more solid on the left side stand side by the passenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:32 PM

Post imported post

Depending on the brand of heated gloves and clothing, there is plenty of room inside the rear passenger storage boxes to mount a couple of gerbings or BMW style power outlets. Much smaller than a standard power plug.

Use the right side box that way the wires are not in the way getting on and off the bike. Route the wires to the acc lugs at the fuse panel. Then you can just plug in when needed. You can mount a controller for the gloves in there too and just let the knob stick outside. For one pair of gloves, one heated vest and a GPS a ten amp fuse is sufficient. I just threw the vest in there as that will be next. If the GPS has a special voltage style plug in, then forget this and just use the same box and glue a spacer into the uneven inside area of the box on the side , drill the proper size hole for whatever standard plug in you use, pop it in with the little fingers that hold it in, route the wires etc.

Or you can build a bracket, with rounded edges and one hole in the back L shape of the bracket and the larger hole in the front of the L to hold the plug in, and mount the whole thing under the passenger hand grip bolt up next to the seat.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

All are good Ideas. Kit you are right about her needing a vest next. We both want some kind of heated socks too. Thanks again for your help.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:07 PM

Post imported post

I have the 12v SAE cable and plug located on the left side of the trunk where the passenger Com cable holder clip is located. What I did was remove the rubber cable holder clip and replace it with the slick Honda Pouch that Honda sells as an OEM accessory, intended to be mounted on the GL1800 Fairing pocket lid. I think this pouch is around $38. It's a nice zippered pouch with the Goldwing Logo embossed. Here we have the Com cable with lower helmet cord connected. I also ran the 12v power cable, fused, direct from the battery to this pouch.
It's extremly handy. If she needs heat, the 12v cable for heated gear is right there, as is the com cable. nothing dangeling or coming lose from that rubber clip Honda provides.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:29 PM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

On my old Suzuki the vests and chaps we bought had their own pigtail included with a fuse to just link it to the battery....wire only stuck out about 6 inches on the left side, due to the plug for the vests was on the left side.....My wife loved her vest and chaps..We could go riding in cold weather and she would bundle up and have hers turned up on high and fall asleep because she was warm and comfortable....We also had the 9volt socks, man could those suckers eat a battery up..........Always carried extra batteries for them in fairing pocket....When I parked my Suzuki over 25 years ago , I gave our stuff to a friend of ours.....Thinking about getting some more vests, chaps and socks..Where is a good place to buy them????

Claude....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks I really like this idea and i will check it out just as soon as i can.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

we found the heated gloves in a catalogue at the local honda dealer. They had the vests and pants and jackets. I am now going to search for the socks. We like to be able to ride when it is nasty out too.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:16 PM

Post imported post

Gerbings has heated insoles for riding books. Don't know who has socks.

Gun totin', motorcycle ridin', whisky drinkin', meat eatin' American. That's who I am...
2000 Valkyrie
1987 GL1200
1996 Motoguzzi Cali
Joined the Darkside-03.28.2010
Iron Butt Association, #38226
Robert Morris Lodge #97F&AM
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page