will be?

Honorary Rhino (Nasr-7)
Honorary Newfie (NASR-10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 06:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to Mick Shane
Post imported post

Probably just crudded up... First try some contact cleaner, or something like wd-40... I just noticed mine was staying on today, but if I barely touched the button it would go off... So I will be doing the same this weekend as you...

Mick Shane

88 GL1500 - Dynastic Blue
PGR 180727 - Riding in Memory of my father Ted Gulley, US Army, Korean Conflict
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 PM

Year: 1999, 1975
Model: GL1500SE GL1000
Post imported post

I'm having the opposite problem with my emergency flasher button. I press it in and it wants to stay in. I had both right and left side controls all apart the other day to fix the turn signal, starter and flasher switches. When it was apart, the flasher switch worked fine so I didn't remove it. Fixed the other 2 problems & reassembled. Now the *******'s sticking again. Grrrrrrr.
After having the units apart, I would hesitate to squirt stuff inside. You really need to disassemble and properly assess/fix the problem. It's a bunch of independently mounted micro-switches & wiring which I don't think should be bathed in WD40 or the like.

Terry

Don't own a Vanagon.
Don't work at Boeing.
Life is good.

1970 CB750
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500 SE
2002 VT750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I had a mute switch stick, it's the same set up as the 4 way switch. A shot of WD freed it up three years ago and it's still working fine. The problem is all these switches need to be exercised once in a while.

The cruise control not setting or staying set is usually one of the four safety switches. There is one on the clutch lever, one on the brake lever, one on the rear brake and one more down by the carbs that shuts off the cruise if you close the throttle. The usual culprits are dirty switches on the clutch and/or brake lever or worn bushings on the levers. Try pushing outward on those levers just prior to setting the cruise and see if it makes any difference. If it does you've identified your problem. Worn switches can often be kept in business by gluing a small piece of pop can aluminum on the lever where it makes contact with the switch plunger.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 05:14 AM

Post imported post

For what it's worth, my cruise control wouldn't always set and it wasn't any of the micro-switches nor the lever bushings but rather the main cruise on-off switch which needed a good clean.

Same story for the mute button on the other side: at one point it was sticking in the on position and it needed a good clean.

Warning to watch for little springs flying all over the place when you take the handlebar switches apart.

Nicholas.

1995 GL1500 SE (Green)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page