GL1200 FUEL PUMP RELAY - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

i'm still confused about the relay. does it affect performance?or does it just stut off the pump when the key is off? if there is continuity from the white wire to ground is it faulty? the relay is $60.00+ bucks, i can do that but......

"the clock talks loud".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 AM

Model: '84 Aspencade
Post imported post

I can't remember what the check is for the relay...I'm not home so I cannot get to my manuals. Someone will come along and chime in on that. If you are unsure best bet is to replace that fuel cut relay. You'll occassionally see them on Ebay, but I got mine new OEM.

Mark
1984 GL 1200 Aspencade

To live you must be willing to die - Amir Vahedi

My father gets smarter everyday that he's gone.

I worried that I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:39 AM

Model: None
Post imported post

Relay if it does not stay energized the thing being controlled will not work properly
Energize the relay an a set of contacts within the relay change their state from either on/off to off/on.
Testing
1- Does the relay itself work when energized, look, feel the relay, there is a clicking noise when it mechanically moves.
2- Do the contacts work, are N.O. contact open, are N.C. contacts closed when the relay is not energized.
3- Do the contacts change their state from N.O to closed and from N.C to open when the reay is energized
4- When energized does the relay work or just hums or nothing happens
5- Are the wires connected
6- Are the contacts in good shape, or worn, burnt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

thanks ark, i'll do some of that checking. the no/nc issue is a problem as the relay is sealed. i can check to see if it clicks with the key on/running.

"the clock talks loud".
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:50 AM

Post imported post

A relay usually has 4 connectors. Two of those connectors will be a + (plus) and a - (minus). these two connectors are used to energize the relay. The other two connections "breaks" (normally closed) or "makes" (normally open) the circuit going to the device it is controlling.

If you can trace back the wires from the fuel pump that goes to the relay that will be the wire that controls the pump. There should be one wire that shows a short to ground (the - for the relay to energize. There will probably be 2 wires that show voltage, the smaller of the two will probably be the + that energizes the relay (this may pulse when the engine is running). The larger of the two will probably be what feeds the wire that is going to the relay.

What you really want to see (and you already know this because you verified the pump runs) is that the wire going to the pump gets voltage on it (either steady when key is turned on, or pulsed when engine is running).

If you didn't have the voltage going to the pump, you would make sure that the smaller + wire was seeing voltage (steady or pulsed) and the larger + wire have study voltage on.

I haven't looked at mine or found a wiring diagram so I don't know what the white wire does. Posting the test procedure you have may help make it easier to understand. But I would say, if the fuel pump is running, then that relay is good. When a relay fails it stops working all together.

03 Honda XR650L
84 GL1200 Aspencade

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

there are 3 wires, i will retest but the first was: wht. to ground=continuity;key on wht. to ground=continuity; engine running wht. to ground=pulsed continuity.

"the clock talks loud".
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:25 PM

Post imported post

If I had to guess, the white wire goes to the pump and would probably test as you described. the "missing" wire (from my description) is that the relay may use it's case as ground (minus).

03 Honda XR650L
84 GL1200 Aspencade

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 PM

Model: None
Post imported post

there are 3 wires, i will retest but the first was: wht. to ground=continuity;key on wht. to ground=continuity; engine running wht. to ground=pulsed continuity.

That says turn on key pump works
Then at some time in the future the on becomes a pulse on

So when finally starting, turn key on and pump comes on, start bike with bike running pump goes intermittant...because a running pump reaches pressure then stops, pressure drops and starts again. The on and off times are used to maintain a specific PSIG in order to keep bike running...this can be verified by someone with the same bike...I'm stuck in the past with a 30 year old 1100
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

except that it is not grounded. actually mounts in a rubber boot(if it had the rubber boot).

"the clock talks loud".
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:36 PM

Post imported post

As long as the pump is clicking and pumping fuel well then the relay issue is probably a red herring....Steve

Steve W
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page