1989 Goldwing won't start - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

About 6 weeks ago, I was riding my bike to work. As I was coming into an exit lane the bike engine died. I couldn't get it to start again and had it towed to a bike shop. They cleaned the kill switch and said it was fixed. After a 6 week break, because of back surgery, I tried riding the bike to work again. The same thing started happening. I rode about a mile and a half and it died. Got it started, rode less than a quarter mile and it died again. This happened several more times until I was able to safely park it. About 9 hours later, I came to retreive the bike, which started just fine. I rode it approximately a mile and a half and it died again. The bike engine is turning over but it seems like it is getting no fuel. I have a full tank of gas in it. Any troubleshooting suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going now to try and get the bike started long enough to get it back to my house. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM

Model: 2010 GL1800 CSC trike
Garage
Post imported post

sounds like a faulty bank angle switch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 PM

Model: 2010 GL1800 CSC trike
Garage
Post imported post

if the bank angle sensor is the cause it should start back if you cycle the ignition to off first then back on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:04 PM

Post imported post

If you find the BAS good...you might try the fuel pump. There are members on here that have had the same symptoms as you. treker8098 has a fix for the fuel pump. Shoot him a PM.

Snorebaby (Doug) and Snorebabe (Michele)
'15 GL1800 Scarlett

'90 GL 1500 SE Pearl
'86 CMX450 Rebel
'85 GL1200 LTD---SOLD
Patriot Guard Riders #137660

I ain't drunk, but I have been drinkin'. (beenshot)

"Carrots & Pickles, Attorneys at Law" (Wingnumberone)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Unfortunately the bike wouldn't start no matter how many times I turned the key on and off. But just in case, how would I test the Bank Angle Switch?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

before you do anything you need to determin if you have a spark at the plugs if you pull the left side lower pannell that the opisit to the oil dip stick you can pull off one of the plug leads connect and old spark plug to it and let it lie on the rocker cover where the spark will jump to ground turn the engine over and see if you have a spark if not then we can trace the culpit if spark you have a fuel problem

Peter

I have had dreams and i have had nightmares i now dont have nightmares because of my dreams
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Anti-Guru

Model: '06 GL1800
Post imported post

For my guess...

... The vacuum petcock -- you'd run until the carb bowls ran low - then die...

Test for fuel output after the Petcock with and without vacuum being applied -- also look at the Petcock's vacuum line and measure vacuum there while cranking (should have some)...

I wonder how many times I can write Petcock before I am censored?

The BAS Circuit kilss the pump and ignition voltage -- so if you can confirm that you have spark (timing light) or a fuel pump running should cycle breifly when the ignition is first turned to run) then the BAS Circuit is not your no-start issue (it could still be the stall, but let's get it running first) - there are Test procedures for the BAS somewhere - I'll look if someone doesn't chime-in here.

As above, teh fuel pump does offer the same kinda symptoms, so if you get nothing past the petcock as you cycle the key into RUN with vacuum aplied, then look at the other side of the petcock to see if anything is trying to get in (as SnoreBaby offers above)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Busdriver

Year: 1990
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500, 172,000 KM
Post imported post

The BAS test is simple.
With the engine running, sit on the bike, grab the bars and shake the hell out of it. If the engine quits, but the ignition lights remain on, and you are able to turn the key to off, then on again an successfully restart, you have a bad BAS.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I haven't been able to test the spark plugs, but judging from the fact that for the 6 weeks since it was repaired, it started and ran like normal. And when I could get it to start and run, it would go for awhile then quit again. I'm inclined to believe I have a good spark. I'll have to try the shaking and see if that has any effect. I know that when I was walking the bike to the place I parked it, I dropped it. After getting help picking it back up and parked, I got some stuff out of it and tried starting it. It started again with no problems.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:50 AM
A d m i n i s t r a t o r

Model: 1994 Aspencade
Post imported post

satan wrote:
Quote:

I wonder how many times I can write Petcock before I am censored?
I am guessing until you write it as 2 words.

Dennis

Join me on facebook Dennis D-Rod Ruda, Hamburg, New York

Button Lady's book website:
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page