Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Bringing a GL1100 back from the dead (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/344413-bringing-gl1100-back-dead.html)

john_51 04-01-2010 09:56 PM

imported post

1 Attachment(s)
I'm in the process of trying tobring a gl 1100 that has been sitting for over 5 years back to life after being in a garage fire. The bike never burned but it did get quite hot. Any suggestions of things to look for before I attempt to fire it? The engine is my main concern as it only has 16,000 miles on it and I would like to use it to replace my mega mile motor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CaptainMidnight85 04-01-2010 10:38 PM

imported post

1891 Attachment(s)
I would guess, from the looks of it, that the internals may be fine.

I would change-over everything you can change-over externally...

...fan switch because of the plastic, valve covers because of the grommets, etc...

...check the stator wire for burn...

I'd pull the motor and bench-run it first when it's all changed over.

I think you'll make out fine when done.

Give it good oil/coolant flushafter it's inyour bike and before you ride...

:byebye:

exavid 04-01-2010 10:48 PM

imported post

Man, that bike looks like it was parked in Death Valley in August!:cooldevil:I agree, if the engine doesn't look cooked it should be useable. I'd sure check the oil to make sure it isn't baked in the case, if that should happen it might be difficult to clean out without splitting the case. I doubt it though since the seat and rear end don't look like they where terribly hot.

SuperSkypilot 04-02-2010 07:32 AM

imported post

I've picked up a couple of low mileage garage fire bikes. On the one I thought would be the easiest to fix I had to replace most of the electronics. The other one was a piece of cake. The good news is that Honda designed that engine to get hot so they seem to handle it well.

Steve

ARKnapp 04-02-2010 08:26 AM

imported post

The high ambient heat can burn insulation from wire, destroy battery, mess with any and all parts of the ignition using solid state materials. It would definitely be to your advantage to strip the melted destroyed part off, maybe make her a naked wing and verify everything...ABS melted so the heat was near, maybe too close.

Any rubber like belts, hoses, tire, valves
Electric wires, shorts, opens, bad connections
Electric connectors, melted, open
Electric devices, made inoperable, shorted
Seals, tubes

In general you should go over every thing including the frame, rims, be meticulous and log everything

CaptainMidnight85 04-02-2010 09:20 AM

imported post

1891 Attachment(s)
john_51 wrote:
Quote:

...I would like to use it to replace my mega mile motor.

Ithink he just wants the engine.

Nick Zara 04-04-2010 09:20 AM

imported post

If you need wiring etc let me know. I have spares from '81 1100 std. Nick [email protected]