gl1200 ltd Oil leak from head gasket - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi Guys. Firstly thanks for the welcome to this forum. My problem is that it seems as though I have a reasonable oil leak from the left hand side head gasket. It looks like the oil is dripping from a bolt underneath the head gasket between the two exhaust pipes. I must admit the bike has just had an oil service and filter change. After filling the bike with oil, I have over filled the engine. The oil is quite a bit over the second ridge on my oil dip stick. I only ran the bike for about five to ten minutes to let the oil get around the engine and then only noticed the oil on the floor. Other than an oil spotted floor could I have damaged the head gasket to the extent of having to replace it or could I just re-torque the head? Thank you all for your time and effort in assisting me with this hicup. Regards Brendan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:51 PM

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: 85 Aspencade
Post imported post

Wash the oil off and check again it might be from the gear shift seal, its on that side.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:05 PM

Location: Bedford (Halifax Regional Municipality), Nova Scotia, Canada
Year: 2000
Model: SE 1500
Post imported post

It is quite common for oil to leak from a failed oil seal around the gear shifter or a failed cylinder head cover gasket The oil would be in the area you described. Check those areasfirst asthey are both an easy fix. Simply remove the shift lever, carefully pry out the oil seal ,lubricate the new seal with oil and gently tap it in with the appropriately sized long socket. Head cover seals are replaced by removing the 4 securing bolts and installing a new one.Drain out some oil so that it is no longer overfilled. I doubt very much that you caused any damage . A failed head gasket would show as a sweet smell from the exhaust, steam from the exhaust, dropping coolant level, a possible engine miss and possibly steam cleaned spark plug(s) Check the esay things first and dont assume the worst. Let us know if you need more help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi Tricky. thanks for the reply, Its quite a leak and as the oil is still so new and clean it's really difficult to see if the oil is traveling down to the lowest point and dripping from there. It looks as though its coming from the bottom of the head gasket.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:22 PM

Location: Bedford (Halifax Regional Municipality), Nova Scotia, Canada
Year: 2000
Model: SE 1500
Post imported post

Can you show us a picture?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Has the head gasket been changed recently? If the bolt you're referring to is the small one under the head take a close look and see if you can see any gasket material protruding from the head/case joint. It's possible to reverse the head gasket front to back which does cause a major oil leak if the head gasket is incorrectly installed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi Guys, OK I emptied the oil down to the correct level and cleaned off all the oil that was left from the area of the oil leak. I started the bike and as I said before the oil is definatly coming out of the head gasket at the bottom of the head. It is where the oil must circulate aroind the head and into the valves,(Not 100% sure about that) There is a bolt below and in between the exhaust pipes. The oil is definatly coming through there. Would it be any good if I re torqued the head and or how much of a job is it to replace the head gasket. I am a paraplegic and therefore not the most agile around working on the floor, but if it's not a major job then I will have to give it a go. Thank you all for any assistance you can offer. All the best Brendan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil leak head.jpg (64.1 KB, 28 views)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page