Major electrical issues! GL1100 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi all, i have for the last 8 months been a member of this forum whilst trying to get a 1980 GL1100 standard back on the road and many times searched through the posts to aid me with my bikes problems.

Yesterday i succeed in getting the bike back on the road and fully legal and had my first short shake down test rides.

But today i was hit with yet more issues.

The bike started first time and sounded fine, i rode approx 2 miles when i stopped at a junction. I put the bike in neutral but noticed the neutral light did not light up.

I pulled away from the junction and looked for somewhere to stop and check things out but within 30 seconds the bike lost all power to the engine and all electrics!!

I managed to push it home, and on first inspections found the main 30a fuse was melted along with most of the fuse holder. The 5a fuse labeled as oil temp, neutral, fuel and suspension had also blown and i could smell burning from the left hand side dummy tank.

I patched up the main fuse holder and placed a fuse in it,replaced the blown5a fuse and also disconnected the starter motor lead. I then wanted to reconnect the battery and to put power to the bike to help fault find.

Once power was reconnected i turned the ignition key only to see smoke come from the spark units, hopefully only one has failed! I quickly switched off. I noticed when power was on the neutral light had still not lit.

So my questions are, what could be the link between the neutral light and 5a fuse blowing, the main fuse melting and the spark unit failing. There could be more wrong but i don't no what to check.

I have been advised to check all ground connections which i will do, but has anyone got any more advice?

Thanks.

Update:

With both spark units unplugged and with the starter motor disconnected. I have turned the igintion switch to on. Thelights and indicators work but no neutral light.

If i reconnected thestarter motor and with the spark units unplugged would i be able to spin the engine over by the starter motor just to check that was working correctly?

Also where is the selenium rectifier located and is it possible to test as that links the netrual light to the main fuse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 PM

Model: GL1100I
Post imported post

That is a tough problem to be facing. You have a hot wire going to a ground somewhere.

You have part of the wiring loom running next to the fuel tank and it can get caught if you had to pull the tank.Check that first.

You need to get a wiring schematic and 2 beers and study the wires on your bike.Put everything back like it originally was. But most likely you will find a hot wire going to a ground somewhere,might even be in the fairing weight pot.

Welcome to the forum.

1981 GL1100I Keep it vertical! Fred
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 08:26 PM

Garage
Post imported post

eck sounds like your going to have to trace the problem or take the harness off compltely and check it all

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 08:45 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

It has nothing to do with the starter or a bad ground, the starter is on a relay and a bad ground can not blow a fuse. The spark units are not fused except for the main fuse, disconnect them and see what happens. The rear suspension light control unit is right next to the spark units, be sure it is not what smoked instead. It is on that fuse but it would have blown long before the main fuse did unless the main fuse was already weak.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page