Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   GL1500: pops out of first to neutral under load (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/345890-gl1500-pops-out-first-neutral-under-load.html)

jkulbeth 04-26-2010 09:43 AM

imported post

Howdy folks!

I've got just over 126,000 miles on my 2000 SE. Bought it with about 124,000 in October last year and the weather is now decent enough get back on it. Now, if the tornado's and rain would break for a little while.

Anyway...

Since owning it, it has occasionally popped out of first and into neutral when accelerating. It's not an 'always' event, but it happens enough to cause worry. A typical situation is starting from a dead-stop headed up a hill. Release the clutch to bite, ease on the throttle, under motion - feet up - accelerating ... then it jumps into neutral. When it happens (which isn't often) there is no warning, so it's a little startling. The neutral light will be on, so I grab the clutch, go for second and pick up where it left off. Aside from this she shifts fine in all gears, including into neutral when I'm looking for neutral.

It did this before the oil change, and it still does it after. Shell Rotella T6, or whatever the one is that replaced the blue jug variety. It does shift noticely smoother with the Rotella, but it hasn't caused the problem to get better or worse.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Jeff

jjones0187 04-26-2010 11:29 AM

imported post

I have had mine do the same thing before pulling into and uphill parking lot, but in my situation I think I just didn't have the gear fully engaged when I was downshifting, see since neutral is between 1st and 2nd gear its easy to pop one in neutral during up shift or downshift if you don't fully engage the gear when you move the shifter with your foot, you could have something more serious like transmission damage but lets hope not!

Psalmist 04-26-2010 12:06 PM

imported post

jkulbeth wrote:
Quote:

Howdy folks!

I've got just over 126,000 miles on my 2000 SE. Bought it with about 124,000 in October last year and the weather is now decent enough get back on it. Now, if the tornado's and rain would break for a little while.

Anyway...

Since owning it, it has occasionally popped out of first and into neutral when accelerating. It's not an 'always' event, but it happens enough to cause worry. A typical situation is starting from a dead-stop headed up a hill. Release the clutch to bite, ease on the throttle, under motion - feet up - accelerating ... then it jumps into neutral. When it happens (which isn't often) there is no warning, so it's a little startling. The neutral light will be on, so I grab the clutch, go for second and pick up where it left off. Aside from this she shifts fine in all gears, including into neutral when I'm looking for neutral.

It did this before the oil change, and it still does it after. Shell Rotella T6, or whatever the one is that replaced the blue jug variety. It does shift noticely smoother with the Rotella, but it hasn't caused the problem to get better or worse.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Jeff

Welcome to the board neighbor. From what I've read and heard about, this is a common problem on the 1500's. Often it's a result of not quite having it in full gear. I'm also a Rotella fan, and I use WalMart Supertech filters.

We need to meet up at Andy's Custard sometime.

satan 04-26-2010 02:18 PM

imported post

Hey Jeff...

Is there any chance that you have a heel/Toe shifter on your 1500? (some of the travel in that linkage can be suspect and not allow you to firmly get it all the way into 1st (or just running into the case-guard with your toe sometimes)

Aside from that, or other limitations or loosness in the shifter - I've got nothing 'external' to add...

morram 04-26-2010 02:57 PM

imported post

"occasionally popped out of first and into neutral when accelerating"
I'd say it's telling you it wants to be in second gear!

jkulbeth 04-26-2010 04:20 PM

imported post

Hmmm... maybe I'm just not giving her enough love when I shift into first. In fact, now that I think about it, my Shadow 750 has done that a time or two, too. I don't have a heal/toe shifter, so I can rule that one out -- but I'll make a mental note if I ever go that route.

I'll mash down a little more firmly... I'm going to feel silly if that's the fix. But I won't feel broke tkaing it in!

Compared to the 750, yeah - it likes to get up and move. Morram... you might be right -- perhaps it's just a little more amxious than I am!

exavid 04-26-2010 07:59 PM

imported post

My '93 has 135,000 miles on it and never jumps out of gear in any gear. Usually if a transmission jumps out of gear it's because it wasn't fully in gear to start with. That could be due to the operator not firmly shifting or a problem with the linkage in the shifter mechanism or bent or worn shifter forks in the transmission.

sandcastcb750 04-26-2010 08:10 PM

imported post

I have seen Goldwings and CB750s have this problem, while in some cases, requires the motor torn apart.

Sometimes you don't shift in a very positive motion and it just doesn't go into the gear. I find the heal toe mechanism agravates the problem though the motor rpm and speed of the bike can cause a problem.

In the worst case, the transmission has a bad gear. My friend had a Goldwing popped out of gear no matter how hard you pushed it into gear with your foot. If you push hard into gear and it stays, then everything is most likey okay.

busdriver 04-26-2010 08:45 PM

imported post

If you have a stock shifter, make sure that it is aligned properly on the shaft.
There is a punch mark on the shaft end that should align with the split in the shift arm end, the part that squeezes together when you tighten the bolt.

giturgun 04-26-2010 08:56 PM

imported post

Lots of panels around the shifter shaft and lever . May be worth a close look with it on the center stand and with engine off rocking the rear wheel and shifting by hand slowy into 1 st to check for binding. But you should get it fixed soon . Jumping out of gear can round off or break shifter dogs, and it puts a lot of pressure on parts that will not like the stress. I have had customers when I worked on bikes come in and their shift drum . couple of forks , and gears had to be replaced when early models ( GL 1000 ) started doing this.