GL1200 Front Wheel Bearing Removal - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: GL1200
Model: Aspencade
Post imported post

I'm trying to change the front bearings on my 85 GL1200a. I've searched this forum, and tried a few things to get the old bearings out. They are in tight!

The distance collar will only move about 1 mm to the side, and my drift punch keeps slipping on the narrow purchase it gets, so that hasn't worked.

I got some 5/8" heavy duty concrete anchors, and ground them down a bit, and got one jammed into the inner race good and snug several times, and pounded it out - but it keeps slipping out.

I saw the split bolt and wedge thing, but can't imagine it's any stronger than this concrete expansion bolt.

Any other ideas? (I saw one guy post that you just hammer on the inner race of thebearing on the other side, and the inner race and distance collar will push theother bearing out. That doesn't make sense to me - the inner races don't seem to move laterally with the bearings in place. ) But if it works, I'll try it. Just don't want to damage my wheel.

I'm running out of options - might have to take it to a shop. Do motorcycle mechanics have some magic tool for this?

Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 07:02 PM

Year: 1990
Make: Honda
Model: Aspy Roadsmith Trike (converted 2014)
Post imported post

I'm very fortunate to have a neighbor with an electric hydralyic (sp)arbor press.

Takes about 10 minutes to press out the old bearings & seals,then press in the new ones.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Senior Something

Year: 1979
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1000
Garage
Post imported post

Found this link for a DIY bearing removal tool. It was for a 1500 but could be adapted for your 1200.

http://home.comcast.net/~rkekeis/WHE...INGREMOVER.htm

Happy Trails

My pic's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

The split bolt usually works but if the concrete anchor won't hold I doubt the split bolt will either. I assume you've tried on both bearings? You might try tapping the bearing down to make sure it's flat in it's recess and try again, if they get cocked they aren't going to move at all. You might try using a split bolt if you can find one the same diameter as the axle without any threads in the working area. Grind the end to a sharp flat edged end. Then put it through the wheel and tap the wedge in to the bolt but make sure the end of the bolt is above the bearing slightly. With the wedge driven into the split tap the bolt down until it contacts the bearing and drive the wedge as tight as you can. The idea is to get the split end of the bolt to catch the joint between the internal spacer and the edge of the bearing. They both have a bit of chamfer so it should be possible to lock the split above the bearing a bit. I don't know at the moment whether the concrete anchore has an edge that can catch the groove the joint makes or not because I've only used a split rod similar to a split bolt to do the job.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 10:01 PM

Post imported post

I watched my Honda mech change mine....a little heat from a propane torch around the hub..............and POP! out they came

Just because you have announced your arrival......
Doesn\'t mean you are there!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 06:35 AM

Post imported post

http://s382.photobucket.com/albums/o...ol%20homemade/

this is how I do mine, try using an old small punch, you'll notice I cut a cross so the punch pushes all four sides out at the same time. I've had some tough ones but they all have came out with the right sized hammer

Working riding whenever we can. Wish I had more time to hang out with my goldwing family!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try the heat first, and if that doesn't work - one of the other split bolt ideas. This forum is the best!!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Frank
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 PM

Post imported post

Just be careful - I had the bearings pretty hard-frozen in mine, and one of the fronts had come all apart in my hands, leaving the outer shell in the wheel with no way to get it out.

Sometimes - especially at the price of a replacement wheel, it's time to get a shop involved.

My name is Rusty. I'm an enthusiast of things that ride, drive and fly.

IBA: 63413
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Guys: thanks again. I got the old bearings out. Used the concrete expansion bolt, and some heat from a propane torch. That got it to move ever so slightly, and then I was able to drive it out with a drift punch, because the distance collar loosened up.

Rode it today, then discovered a nail in my rear tire! Now I need to deal with that!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Ain't it the truth? You have the wheel off to fix something then put it back on only to find a nail in it that means it has to come off again.Exasperatin' to the Max!

But better than going flat on the road.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page