Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   GL1500 flat spot off idle (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/347600-gl1500-flat-spot-off-idle.html)

chirojerry 05-24-2010 01:00 PM

imported post

91 interstate with 55k on the clock. I have a flat spot off idle that is getting worse. I have seafoamed 2x. It is most pronounced in slow speed turns..roll on the throttle and there is nothing there until about 2.5k rpms then the power comes on and wants to stand the bike up...very unnerving. SO my question is what is most likely the culprit.

1. Vacuum leak

2. carbs out of synch.

3. carbs need rebuild

It is the worst riding 2 up and loaded.

Thanks in advance Jerry

busdriver 05-24-2010 02:09 PM

imported post

Add sticking carb slides to the list.
You can pull the air filter and check for resistance by moving them with a finger. Give em a shot of carb clean spray, then a shot of WD40, then test ride again.

AZgl1800 05-24-2010 02:32 PM

imported post

876 Attachment(s)
. +1 on the sticking slides ...

kn6308 05-25-2010 07:19 PM

imported post

I'm new, but have spent a lot of time here. My 88 GL1500 did that,I hated parking lots and stop signs. Got so bad it liked to jumped out from under me.If this suggestion iscrazy I apologize, I lubed my throttle cables. WD 40, especialy on the one on the inside of the of the throttle. Make sure the cable pushes in whenyou roll on the throttle. Had to twist my cable 180 degrees to keep it from rolling out of it's fixture. Like riding a new bike.

Wingnumberone 05-25-2010 07:25 PM

imported post

Definitely check the slides for sticking, and if you open the bike up - check the diaphragms that move the slides. I had a pair of '95 carbs that had pinholes in both.

$90.00 each from Ron Ayers was the best I could do.

chirojerry 05-25-2010 10:36 PM

imported post

Thanks for all the replies....has anybody used the new slides from cycle max or the other ebay co. that sells them??? Jerry

Psalmist 05-26-2010 12:48 AM

imported post

kn6308 wrote:
Quote:

I'm new, but have spent a lot of time here. My 88 GL1500 did that,I hated parking lots and stop signs. Got so bad it liked to jumped out from under me.If this suggestion iscrazy I apologize, I lubed my throttle cables. WD 40, especialy on the one on the inside of the of the throttle. Make sure the cable pushes in whenyou roll on the throttle. Had to twist my cable 180 degrees to keep it from rolling out of it's fixture. Like riding a new bike.
That was a common problem on the early 1500's . Interesting fix.

Rudy 05-26-2010 08:05 AM

imported post

4 degree advance trigger wheel can help also.

LloydM 05-26-2010 08:22 AM

imported post

kn6308 wrote:
Quote:

Answer not crazy at all. Every little thing counts. :applause:

I had a similar result on one of my bikes. :)

bobcat54s 05-29-2010 07:21 PM

imported post

My '90 model had the same problem. Got so bad and pissed me off enough, I put it in the garage and didn't want to even look at it. It was dangerous to ride in the city just because it would either stall at stops or you'd have to rev the lights out of it to get it to go. Here is what I figured out finally. Took the air cleaner lid and air filter out so I could see the slides and accelerator pump sprayers. I found out that both accelerator pumps were plugged and not spraying and one slide was stuck and not moving at all when you wick the throttle. So i started the bike with the choke on and sprayed carb cleaner into each intake barrel and all the copper openings. Did this for quite some time. Also sprayed and cleaned on the accelerator pump nozzles several times before they started spraying properly. After a while, both slides moving freely and accelerator pumps spraying fine. Thing runs sweet now. Can pull up to a stop sign and drive away easy now. It is so great!!!