86 Gold Wing 1200 Interstate - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

My bike is still running great but lately I hear a 'clacking' noise when I let off the gas between shifts. I go through the gears just fine but when I am in, say, 3rd gear and let off the gas, I heard this noise. I can not see anything bumping or moving while underway. Any ideas on what to check?

Thank You!

Big Swede

Lexington, N.C.

2 Wheels over 4 Wheels Anytime!
86 GL1200 Interstate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:06 PM
The Irish Crew

Model: GL1100 Interstate
Post imported post

Any idea if the noise is coming from the engine or further back? Universal joints can make odd noises when they start to fail, as can driveshafts and final drives.

Alan Fitzpatrick.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi Alan! Further back I would say. I was reading the forum and came across a guy ready to buy an 86 Gold Wing Interstate, black and gold just like man. He mentioned it had a noise or two and one of the noises addressed was a drive train noise, most possibly the U joint. I think I will check that when I get home this evening. Thanks so much for the tip Alan!!

Take care,

Big Swede

86 GL1200 Interstate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I meant to say, "black and gold just like MINE!" DOH!!

86 GL1200 Interstate
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 10:47 PM

Post imported post

i have the same noise in a1984 1200. it makes this noise while shifting from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th and back down. more pronounced in 4th to 5th and back. i pulled the drive line and universal and ran it on the center stand, it continued to raddle while shifting, so i know its in engine somewhere. a stethoscope indicated the noise is in damper of the output shaft. i dont think thats the problem, i have ridden it about 1000 miles like this. it started when i cynced the carbs so im going do go back and check them again if i find anything i will try to let you know. i am wondering if its the primary chain. regards walkabout

walkabout
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi Walkabout! I just now read your post. I am still riding mine as I have a 54 mile round trip commute every day and it saves me tons of gas money!!! I am going to put mine on the center stand this evening and go through the gears. I hope it is something simple but it rarely is it seems!!! Please let me know what you come across when you recheck.

Thanks!

Big Swede

86 GL1200 Interstate
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:54 AM
The Irish Crew

Model: GL1100 Interstate
Post imported post

Splines in the final drive sometimes wear out, then the driveshaft starts to slip in the drive and make clicking sounds. Check this out because it can eventually leave you stranded.

Alan Fitzpatrick.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 AM

Post imported post

bigswede, ihave not found the problem yet. i just rode it 300 miles to san francisco and home. the bike runs perfect. when cold it does not make a sound but when it gets warmed up it begins to rattle. its seems consistant in what it does now. when shifting from 4th to 5th gear it rattles but not under power. when you let off the gas going down hill or under compression it rattles. not a sound while under power and pulling hard. i cant seem to get any noise out of it when on center stand anymore. i have rode it several thousand miles with this noise. the bike has 95xxx miles on it. i am beginning to think, thats a step in the right direction!!! that 5th gear is toast. may be spalling or something else connected with 5th gear. hope this helps regards walkabout

walkabout
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:40 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

It only takes 15 minutes to remove the bags. I'd be doing that so I could look for something loose.

And I wouldn't "wait for the weekend".

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:14 PM

Post imported post

Sounds like the primary chain tensioner inside the engine. Mine made the same noises as you are describing. I synched the carbs and the noise went away. Do a search on the forums for primary chain + noise. Most solutions involve the carb synch.

Kevin
85 GL1200-I
USMC, (Retired)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page