Gerbing Jacket - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

That cold-blooded Golden Girl wants me to wire up a receptacle/connector so she can take her Gerbing jacket with her on our upcoming trip to Deal's Gap and points west "in case I get cold". Yes, folks she gets cold at the oddest times.

For example, a couple of years ago we were on our way to Mid Ohio for the Superbike races, when 1 hour into our trip, she made me stop so she could buy a couple of sweatshirts at a Walmart to keep warm. It was the 4th of July weekend. I was in shirtsleeves, and she was wearing 2 sweatshirts. Go figure.

The Gerbing website says the jacket draws 6.5A / 75 W. I show 14.5V from the alternator at idle, and goes up from there depending on load. Will our electrical system handle the load? I'm planning on wiring directly to the battery.

I'm too tired to try to do the math.

Thank you electrical wizards.

The OTHER Cloud 9.
IBA #12185
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:23 PM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: 2008 Gl 1800 P premium Audio
Post imported post

why on earth if you own a gl 1800 & gl1200 would you be taking the 1200 ??????also why would you second guess what a woman wants ? so better yet you take the bike & let her take the car !

All good things come to He who waitith if he workith like hell while he waitith !
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

hummer5205 wrote:
Quote:
why on earth if you own a gl 1800 & gl1200 would you be taking the 1200 ??????also why would you second guess what a woman wants ? so better yet you take the bike & let her take the car !

Cloud 9 rides the 18 and Golden Girl the 1200.

As to your question, Cloud 9. It depends on how may electrical 'extras' she has on her bike?

I would get her either a Single Portable Heat Controller and the leather case(maybe the dual one in case she adds heated gloves later) or the permanately mounted one as they use less power, unless she has it cranked all the way up(unlikely).

When you have it hard wired directly to the battery with just the included harness you get with the jacket, it draws full amperage all the time. Then she will get tired of turning it on/off all the time, as she gets too hot, then too cool.

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hummer, Dusty got it right. Golden Girls is a very active and competent rider, and has "graduated" from her Concours to the GL1200LTD. We're running down to Deal's Gap next week with another couple of bikes, and he wanted to ride something more "cushy"........she wants what she wants, I guess....

Dusty, she has the jacket, pants and socks with the single controller. he doesn't want the controller permanently wired to the bike, so she can switch over to the 1800 as needed. She usually sticks it in her pocket.

She doesn't have many other electrical appliances that he will be running, other than the factory stereo, and the cruise, at the same time. She does have some accessory lights mounted on the back, but we are probably not going to do much night riding.

I plan on going to Radio Shaft to pick up an outlet, and put a fuse in line with it directly to the battery. I'm only guessing we have enough capacity.

Thanks guys!

The OTHER Cloud 9.
IBA #12185
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

Let me give you a low power suggestion that my wife uses even though we have the power and the Gerbings.

She puts on her FrogToggs. With or without a sweatshirt underneath. Once the air stops, she warms up. And it breathes as well.

Try it. You might be surprised. And hey, its Green too.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Usually, heated gear comes with a fused battery harness that connects to the battery and plugs into the jacket, gloves, etc. Just 'plug in' the newer heat controllers(such as the 1stone I linked to above) to that end of the harness, as the controllers are digital and they 'cycle' on and off. Slowly if on a low setting, faster when set on a higher/hotter setting, so unless she has it set to 'max' there is no 'steady' electrical draw, but rather an intermittent one, so it does give your stator a little bit of a chance to recover between 'cycles'. They are not like the older, rheostat type thermostats. If the jacket/harness has the old SAE type of connection, you can buy the conversion plug which allows you to connect it to the new coaxial plug

I plug the end of my portable heat controller into a BMW Style Plug Adaptor, which inturn plugs into a BMW Style Outlet that I installed in my fairing. Works great!

If herstator is pumping out the kind of amps while at idle that you claim, then she should be fine while riding. Might have to keep an eye on things while riding at night and in stop n go riding, if the fans kick in and brake lights/signals lit.

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks, Dusty, exactly what I was after. And, Rudy's idea was a good one, too. We already have the Frogg Toggs.....

Out in Yellowstone a couple of years ago, we got caught in a snowstorm at The Old Faithful Inn on June 3rd. We had to keep riding, so she wore:
Long underwear
Jeans
Gerbing pants
Frogg Toggs
Turtleneck
Sweatshirt
Gerbing jacket
Leather jacket
Frogg Togg jacket
Ear muffs
Electric socks
Riding boots

...........You get the idea......and, she didn't complain about the cold! BUT, she needed help getting on and off the bike, because she couldn't bend any of her extremities! Luckily, we could get back to normal riding attire the next day in Ogden, UT. As he has stated before, "We don't have vacations, we have adventures!" Gotta love her!

The OTHER Cloud 9.
IBA #12185
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:34 PM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL-1800A
Garage
Post imported post

you must have had empty saddle bags when she was in all that attire!

GWRRA 327965
Rider Ed Level 4 #8529 (Master)
Darksider #1491
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:41 PM

Post imported post

The scariest part
"depends on how may electrical 'extras' she has on her bike?"

too funny

cagers on cell phones scare me
I owe my life to a Stebel Nautilus
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:43 PM

Post imported post

When is some company going to get smart and make a water (or fluid)thermo coupled heat suit for the GLs?

cagers on cell phones scare me
I owe my life to a Stebel Nautilus
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page