The SLOWEST carb re-build in History - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Got my carbs re-installed yesterday, started and sounded fairly good but discovered a dad burn fuel leak. After 15 min of looking, and starting it several times, I have discovered that the Aluminum fuel tube is leaking between # 1 and # 3, or more specifically, where it fits into # 1.
A am just assuming that this means re-remove rack, but I wanted to see if anyone had any magic for this problem FIRST ! And actually, I am not NEARLY as apprehensive about it this time,,,, just upset that I'm not riding.
Thank You so much to everyone whom coached me through it the first time, I believe that it was a successful re-build with the exception of the leak.

Be Blessed
Steve-O

It's ALMOST Miller Time

Anything that I post ANYWHERE on these Forums is NOT meant to discriminate against ANY Nationality, Race, Creed, Color, or Religion, in MY world EVERYONE has a right to their own religion, and opinion, and I Love them ALL.
The ONLY People I DON\'T Like are TERRORISTS !
You Praise YOUR GOD, and I will Praise MINE, and That Does NOT make us Enemies !

PLEASE, Support our Troops

1984 GL1200 Aspencade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Banned

Post imported post

Attached Images
File Type: jpg replace Orings.jpg (40.1 KB, 151 views)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Yes, I replaced both o-rings,,, must have pinched one putting it back together,
it is a Bugger to try and get all 3 tubes into BOTH carbs with only 2 hands, might ought to ask for some help from a family member This time !!

Thank You
Steve-O

Unless there is a Trick to that too !!

Anything that I post ANYWHERE on these Forums is NOT meant to discriminate against ANY Nationality, Race, Creed, Color, or Religion, in MY world EVERYONE has a right to their own religion, and opinion, and I Love them ALL.
You Praise YOUR GOD, and I will Praise MINE, and That Does NOT make us Enemies !

1984 GL1200 Aspencade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 AM

Post imported post

I had a leak in the same area on my '85. Fuel was flowing out of the T in the picture above. I didn't do anything with the tube or the T where it goes in the carbs. I cleaned up a sticking float needle and replaced the crush washers under the float seat which didn't look very good. Took care of the problem. Actually, I didn't separate the carb bodies so those tubes weren't disturbed.

Lyle

Lyle, President of the Use Punctuation, Paragraphs, Capitals and Non Use of Acronyms Club.
I'd sure love a $175,000 a year part time job with benefits like member of Congress have.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

Post imported post

....you could spray them (do both sides of the tube) with PB Blaster and let them soak for a few minutes, then gently try and rotatethe tubein the housings. Any PB that may get past the rubber will burn through harmlessly, and it might work... ???

It may not have seated all the way. I'd sure try that to avoid pulling the rack, but shortcuts rarely work-out for the better. Won't know 'til you try though.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I didn't know that fuel went through the tubes with the T's , I guess that I assumed that the only one carrying fuel was the aluminum tube, and thinking that the 2 plastic tubes were for Air or Vacuum,,,HOWEVER, I readily admit to being an Amateur !

Thank You for the Help

Steve-O

I WANT TO GO CRUISING !!! :h oppingmad:

By the way,, what is PB Blaster,, do auto part stores have it ?

1984 GL1200 Aspencade
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 01:01 PM

Year: 1997 SE
Post imported post

b679995 wrote:
Quote:
...By the way,, what is PB Blaster,, do auto part stores have it ?
It's similar to WD-40 but it's a catalyst though. Any good auto parts or even walmart has it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:20 PM

Post imported post

b679995,

One of the Ts is a vacuum line, the one in the middle in the image above. The other appears to be just an overflow. Nothing is connected to it. It was this one, with the larger branch, that was spewing out fuel. All three of the tubes are higher than the fuel level in the carburetor. That's why I concluded that it was leaking internally. Maybe my logic was flawed but it turned out to be the correct diagnosis.

Lyle

Lyle, President of the Use Punctuation, Paragraphs, Capitals and Non Use of Acronyms Club.
I'd sure love a $175,000 a year part time job with benefits like member of Congress have.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:22 PM

Post imported post

WOOT!!! I'm glad to see that you got it on - even if you have to take it off one more time.

Yeah - you're not as aprehensive after the first time, are you???

My name is Rusty. I'm an enthusiast of things that ride, drive and fly.

IBA: 63413
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks Rusty, the worst thing about taking it back off is the delay in riding, you should have seen me Grin when that sucker fired, and it sounded pretty good for not being synced or adjusted yet, WOW, what a feeling !!

Thanks to all that helped
Steve-O

1984 GL1200 Aspencade
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page