GL1100, new battery won't start - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

81 Rebuild guy- Got new battery. Thought i would just try and see if she would start. To no avail- She wants to turn over but the starbard side carbs are shooting gas into the air filter box and gas is running all over. It may also be leaking from exhaust but i cannot say for sure. I am waiting on a new air filter from another member but i do not think that is the problem. Any ideas why the starbard side carbs would be dumping gas like this? Maybe i am just best off to pull the carbs but i would like to hear it run before i tear into it. Any help appreciated. Thanks

jeff

"If you think you can or you think you can\'t, you\'re right!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

oh, also forgot to mention that i am using an external tank not the tank on the bike. Have to seal it before i trust it.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

It would appear that you have a couple of carbs with faulty float valves. Be careful with leakers they can dump enough fuel into the cylinder to hydrolock it. Best bet would be to pull the carbs and check them out.

BTW - I just thought I ought to mention that an 1100 Standard is a great bike to ride. I had one but fool that I was I sold it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

i was suspcting floats, either a stuck one or a needle valve. I guess i will just go ahead and tear in without getting it running. I need to quit being a big kid and wanting to hear it run! Any other ideas on what to look for as i tear into them. I will probably find a whole wad of stuff to deal with i am sure.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 05:44 AM

Model: gl1100 1980 mileage 150,000
Post imported post

Be careful with the floats they dent easy. If you have time on your side try looking into ultrasonic cleaning locally. It is money well spent.

keep the old girl on the road

1980 gl1100 A canadian import. mileage 150,000 +
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

i am going ahead with the carb rebuild anyway but i did notice what appears to be a small vacum tube had fallen off the guilty carb. It looks like it goes to a valve towards the back of the engine. Could this be causing the vomiting of gas into the plenum? And what is this valve and should it be replaced with 45K miles?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:10 AM

Year: 1980, 1987
Make: Goldwing
Model: 1980 Standard, 1987 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

I believe the hose is for your vacuum advance, which changes ignition timing as you throttle up. It wouldn't cause your gas problem, you need to rebuild. There are some great resources on here and a few other places that go into great detail on properly setting float height, which is critical on these. You must do a very thorough job of cleaning also, there are no shortcuts. Do it once the right way.

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtop...def25a27b0bfd4 has a great tutorial on carb rebuild.

http://www.randakks.com/Carb%20Parts.htm#9A is the best kit you can buy.

https://www.partsnmore.com/cat_index...&category=carb has some parts I've used and they worked for me.

Brian Trauger
1980 Standard : Pacifico fairing : Vetter trunk.
1987 Aspencade : Fully dressed.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:28 AM

Post imported post

Is this bike new to you? Do you know any timing belt history from PO? Not to get off the topic but if it were me I would do the belt in the real near future if they haven't been done or you don't know the history from PO. Just my $.02. It hurts when they brake!

1981 GL1100S 2010 GL1800 Titanium
Wingd
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

yes- i have no idea when or if the belts have been changed. I will probably do that first since it is a samller dollar investement than the Randakks carb kit. Has anyone on this site rebuilt their carbs without buying the 200 kit and had good luck? I think the kit is a great investment but can the rubber parts be reused with success if you are on a budget?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:22 AM

Year: 1981
Make: Gl-1100
Model: Standard
Post imported post

#9 Those carbs could be leaking into plenum from carb probs or simply the o-ring between the 2 sides of carbs... that will for sure make it look like a stuck float when you see the gas in the plenum.
I believe that if you do find a stuck float, or a leaking needle valve, randakks kit does not contain new needle valves anyway. So, your stuck with buying OEM or some other after market brand of needle and seat. K&L makes a pretty good rebuild kit for about $40 each.. Recommend taking apart to see what's bad first.. just follow one or two of the good "how to's" as mentioned. If you do go for aftermarket.. check out the ebay seller Georgefix,, he is great! and his products are too...

Patrick Morrissey (Go Irish)
Started on family owned Cushman Scooter
First Bike was a 1967 Riverside 125cc
Dad\'s 78 GW ashes.
Bringing another 1100 back to life, rising from the ashes of my 1000... Thanks to this forum!
"Enjoy the Ride"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page