GL1000 brake rotor swap - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Year: '82
Make: Honda
Model: CB900K0 Bol Bomber - CB900F Bol D'Or homage to the '65 CB450K0 Black Bomber
Post imported post

Hi. new member here. I've got a GL1000 hub on an '82 cb750f. I've been trying to buy a pair of rotors from a '92/3 CBR900RR, that looked like they would fit. But, expensive.

So, I thought I would ask the experts. Has anybody, Randakk maybe, put updated or free-floating rotors on the GL1000?

I know that the site "FishHeadBigBrakes" uses these hubs. He's commercial, and out of my budget. I can sort of glean from the pics what rotors he's using, but thought I might as well just ask the forums.

I'm putting a lot of GL parts on my Bitsa Build, and I figure, so long as I ask just about those aspects of the bike, I have a 1/10th share in a forum membership, if you will.

Sorry I've contributed to the slaughter of a wing. It is truly sad what is happening on E-bay. But, I just want to get my bike on the road.

-Silas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 05:33 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Post imported post

Welcome and Hello . Cant you use the GL1000 rotors ,or do you have some problems with offsets and your calipers .

I have heard of the fishead brakes and I believe Randakk has mentioned those . Not sure if he is running a set yet .

I dont like to see good ridable bikes striiped down for fleabay parts . You also have to realize the many bikes put back to raod worthy because of parting bikes though . IT's not like were parting and selling old Indian Scout parts or Arial Square parts . There are plenty of Goldwings about and many are beyond repair at resonable prices.

I hope some one here can offer more to help you with your brake questions . Please visit often and enjoy .

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Model: CB900K0 Bol Bomber - CB900F Bol D'Or homage to the '65 CB450K0 Black Bomber
Post imported post

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I think I've found a pair that might work, CBR900RR from the early years, '92/3. These have a bolt pattern that's a 2mm off, and bolt holes that are a mm or two off as well, so I think that with some very simple work they can be made to fit. The off-set looks good for GL wheels as well. The site that quotes the specs is to be found here:

http://www.metalgear.com.au/

They sell replacement rotors for which you can search and each one comes with specifications and a diagram. Very useful.

Thing is, the ones I'm looking at are a bit out of my price range.

Offsets and calipers aren't an issue yet, because I intend to cut new mounts in any case, whether I use stock calipers or get my hands on a pair off a firebladeor ninja or gixxer, whichever is in the best shape for my price range. I don't even care how many pots at this point,just about everything "new"would be an upgrade to safety. The reason I am trying to go with something newer, is that the stock GL rotors weigh twice as much as my stock CB750Fc rotors, that's more than six extra pounds of unsprung weight for the pair. So, I may try to use them but I would drill so much out of them as to make them dangerous. Probably cost a lot for the drill bits too. Obviously, I would like to have floating rotors simply for their better action. It would be nice to be able to do an endo on this bike, ha ha, but only if I need to. Calgary traffic is something to be seen once, and avoided there-after.

I've looked into the parts&more lists to see what it would cost to rebuild the master and calipers for my stock front end, and it's expensive enough, especially if going with new pistons, that you could go to fleabay and buy something only a couple of years old with decent pads in them even. Luckily,my stuff is in good shape, and I only need a total rebuild on my master cylinder. Most of my brake pistons and seals are only in need of a good clean-up. Still, that I think I will upgrade, and there are some decent70's eraracing calipers available new in the aftermarket for about a hundred bucks.

And a rebuild on a older GL or CB or KZ alloy bowl type master cylinder/brake lever set off of fleabay, the lesstrendy (if you know what I mean) the better,could be done for about the price of doing up the stock one off the CB-F. Which, to be frank, is ugly. I mention this here, because from what I understand this is the same unit off of thelater yearGL1000 and GL1100. The calipers from this era, with their floating mount and rigid mounted disc, work well enough. But I understand that the floating disc and rigid mounted calipers with opposed pots, are the way to go if you want better, more reliablestopping power, or so I am told. It just seems that unless one wanted to go to a concourse restoration, there is no reason to go to as much trouble and expense for brakes that won't work as well as those that I could put together.

I see a lot of guys doing builds on GLsout there, the nakegoldwing forum etc, and CB-F models like those @ cb1100f.net, that mostly use different wheel sets, and I think the reason they do so is for cost effectiveness. The CBR wheels and the like are available cheap. But while the chain can be alligned easily enough, I don't always see too much attention to the dish of the wheels and how that relates tothe centering of the tires under the center of mass, etc. What I'm getting at is, the wire wheels of the early GL bikes have the option of being put together with what-ever rim you see fit, and the dish can be worked out to where you want it.The comstar wheels have the uncommon five bolt brake pattern, so it is hard to upgrade brakes on them to modern types, just as it is hard to do so on KZ wheels because of their four-bolt pattern. Even the sohc CB750 crowd are using the GL hub as a substitute for the CR kit dual disc type front wheel so much in demand. So, these GL wheels are something special.

I truly hope that this doesn't further exascerbate the situation with Fleabay. I know a lot are parted out for reasons of expense in fixing them, but seriously, I keep seeing clean bodywork and carbs and the like for GLs, when looking for this wheel I bought as three seperate items, that talk about how the parts came off of a clean low milage bike that ran great. What reason could there have been to tear down such a bike except that savvy sellers know they can get double or more the price for a bike they bought second hand in the form of parts than a whole bike. Dismal, dismal economics for the classic market. People will as always buy the cheapest bike they can get, and the first thing that breaks they fix with fleabay parts that will quickly bring the cost of their bike up to the cost ofa clean low mileage bike, it's only human nature. On the other hand, the nature of the type of creature who's out there making a buck and doesn't even like bikes all that much, I don't know what it's nature is. Parasitical? Pathological?

I've even had a box of very important parts stolen from beside my house by a garage sale roaming "junk and scrap collector/seller" who came around snooping one day. I think these types would have gotten a start going to the estate sales held by the canibalistic children of little old ladies who are dying of cancer, and selling what chachkas and knick-knacks they bought for pennies on the dollar, to interior design types and pop-culture collectors: through E-bay. Because you don't have to have even a passing interest in antiques or anything really, to know what to buy and sell anymore. Between the TV shows like "antiques roadshow" (a couple was once caught for trying to fence their burglary booty on the show itself) or "the collectors" and thank gawd the Barret Jackson Auctions haven't discovered motorcycles yet. Now that Pebble Beach has shown classic bikes, I think that will soon be a reallity.

I hope it doesn't seem like I've bitten off more than I can chew. Of all of the stuff guys talk about doing to their bikes, I may be doing quite a list of them but just about every single one I've gotten three-quarters of the way through. I havepics of myhand-polished valve cover for this CB-F, and a hundred other shiney parts as well, if you think I'm one of those guys who posts all the questions and doesn't do the build. Money has got to be the only thing in my way, but if I have to sell all of the polished parts and rub up the spare set I have, so be it. I'mhavea low fixed income, but a lot of time on my hands. I'm SoyBoySigh on the cb1100f.net forum and photobucket as well, if you have any interest at all in my project.

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I hope I've given a decent explaination as to why I'm doing this crap, and hopefully I can come up with some decent "Big Brake" options for the GL1000 owners on this site. Once I've got what I want, I'll have some GL parts for sale, ha ha. Rotors, front rim, spokes, axle, spacers, rear hub, etc, so wish me luck. Gawd, would I love to have an early GL. They've got to be the most beautiful bikes out there.

-Silas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Damn double post. Butsince I'mediting it out, thenallow me one more rant. Just got word from the buchanan'sguys that they don't think this GLRrrim to GL Fr hub swap is a go, becausethe difference in diameter means there's going to be a bend in the spokes due to the different "side angle" of the drill patterns on the rims. I'm gonna go and take a look at the holes, but these wheels come with spoke nipples with cupped washers, I should think that a mod to these washers should be enough,even if this is such a concern. The head angles on the spokes would be something you think that they would set if they bent up a custom set, as I had asked them to. Seems to me though, they want to sell me one of their $500 rim sets. I've heard of this rim being laced to a sohc CB750ffront hub. I have done swaps like this on smaller bikes and cut/threaded spokes to length, as such I just fail to see how there's a problem with the rim and hub combination that cannot be resolved by custom spokes, which is supposed to bebuchanan'sexpertise.You're supposed to be able to set dish where you want with variances of head angle set, and can play around with dish a wee bit simply by tweaking the nipples. I know of people even, who will go either way if you tweak their nipples. I'm going to try this project to it's conclusion; but if it wasn't meant tobe I'm looking for another rim. -Silas.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page