1984 goldwing carb question - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hey everybody

I recently purchased a 84 goldwing interstate and had problems with it only running on three cylinders. Thanks to everybody's help and advice I pulled the carbs and resolved that issue. When i pulled the carbs i noticed that the original carbs had been replaced with a set off a california bike. I pluged off the purge lines, hooked up the intake vacuum on #4 to the air cut off and anti backfire and ran a vacuum line from #4 carb to ignition vacuum. The bike runs good but seems to run even better when i run with choke on. I have no problems with the idle as i can adjust it up or down and still runs smoothly. I feel like the air cut off might need to be replaced as gas milage seems to be low although I don't have a specific number yet. It also tends to spit sometimes on deceleration. I have not synced the carbs yet, i just turned the adjustment out 2 turns.
the #4 plug looks great and the other three seem to be a bit rich. In 4th and 5th gear it runs smother about 3500rpm i didn't know if this was due to vacuum advance kicking in.

When i purchaqsed the bike i was fishing at lake erie and had no intention of buying a motorcycle but came home with one and have been entertained by it ever since. I am sure glad that i found such a wonder site with such great advice because if I hadn't got it running I very well could have been in a divorce chat room now.

thanks
steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 AM

Post imported post

Try synchronizing the carbs first. You can do a search and find a homemade sync tool. Synchronizing the carbs will have less of an affect on higher RPMs. Rechecking float level will would be my next step. If your running rich they probably set a hair high.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page