carb sync and air mix screws - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

does anyone know if there is a good tutorial on how to sync the carbs other than in the Clymer manual i have? Also i know the 1.5 turns is just a starting point on the idle mix screws but how do you adjust once installed and how much difference do they make on /with the carb sync. I just cant seem to get the sync right . thanks

jeff

81 rebuild

"If you think you can or you think you can\'t, you\'re right!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:27 AM
RB

Send a message via AIM to RB
Post imported post

Synch first..then use tach to drop idle on each carb with the air mix..which actually is fuel mix...then check sycn again..two completely different issues..synch matches air flow of each carb so it's even at idle..mixture screw adjust fuel flow at idle by watching idle and when it drops a bit you set screw back a bit.

There is a how to in the index..and ref. section.

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewto...?f=11&t=81

1981 GL1100I Sold her..so sad!
1976 GL1000 Sulfur Yellow sold
1976 GL1000 RED rebuilt SOLD
1979 GL1000 parting out PM if you\'re looking for something
1975 sold
1978 sold
1981 sold
1982 sold
1982 sold
1983 A sold
1997 1500 SE SOLD
1999 1500 SE SOLD
1998 1500 SE..RIDING
FAIR WINDS,
RB
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:35 AM

Post imported post

Getting the sync "right" is just a matter of practice and patience.
Depending on how far each carb is off from the primary and how stable your tool is makes a difference as well.

I use a set of gauges and they'll jump a lot until I get the three carbs pretty close. Once I'm closing in I start seeing all the needles settle down and pointing to common numbers.

Like RB said, set your idle last and use your tach.

Main thing is not to rush each step, let the engine settle after each adjustment.

cagers on cell phones scare me
I owe my life to a Stebel Nautilus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

morram wrote:
Quote:
Getting the sync "right" is just a matter of practice and patience. ..
Yup.. and you can work yourself into a box that is hard to get out of easily if not careful.. (getting a throttle plate too far closed)

not to explain.. but to avoidthese problems, I turn up the idle (with the idle screw) to at least 2000 rpm.. sync as best I can without worrying about rpm... then turn it back down to idle (about 1000) and do a fine tune with the sync.. avoids getting any throttle plate closed

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

Post imported post

Make certain you have no air sucking from anywhere, especially the O-rings at the manifolds.

A small vac leak will make it look good one moment, then bad on another moment, getting you to start all over again.

Patience is good too.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

ok- all good advice. I did finally learn to establish a basline reading off of 3 then sync 1 to it. Then sync 2 to 4 using the middle screw and then left side to right side using the adjuster behind 4. Problem is - when i get to 4 and try to adjust the idle runs away with itself. Also- idle mix screws- go with 1.5 turns out and do not touch them? I am still having low readings on 1 and 3 header pipes. Ugh! Thanks
jeff
81 rebuild

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

the 1.5 turn outs are just your base starting point for the idle mixture screws..You still need to do the idle drop procedure after getting the carb sync done.

And if you haven't read the idle drop procedure in the manual then either you've skipped over that section or you don't have a good manual.

When ever I sync carbs and the idle starts to creep up on me then I adjust it back down, then continue till done. I may have to adjust it half a dozen times before I'm done.

Michael
Too much chrome to polish, too little time!!
Have trailer, will travel!! Not all Wingers are old Wingers.

PGR member. Riding in memory of my father, Clyde D. Ward, USN. WWII

Myself, USN, Vietnam Vet. 68-72, 74-76
VF-194 aboard the USS. Oriskany
USS Saratoga, ships company

-----------------------------------
Bagmaster, our former forum Toolmaster and friend, is no longer with us. He passed away in February 2012.

The roads and byways, no matter how beautiful and exhilarating, are a lonelier place now. RIP Bagmaster (Baggy).
-----------------------------------
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:26 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

#9 Man wrote:
Quote:
ok- all good advice. I did finally learn to establish a basline reading off of 3 then sync 1 to it. Then sync 2 to 4 using the middle screw and then left side to right side using the adjuster behind 4. Problem is - when i get to 4 and try to adjust the idle runs away with itself. Also- idle mix screws- go with 1.5 turns out and do not touch them? I am still having low readings on 1 and 3 header pipes. Ugh! Thanks
jeff
81 rebuild
Use Jim's 2000rpm trick.

Are the carbs from an '81 as well? If not, make sure you start with the mixture screw adjustment for the carbs you have. You will have to do an idle drop procedure to get those screws set to optimum.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

yes, they are 81 carbs and i started with the 1.5 turns out. I will probably attempt another sync this weekend. I will look for the idle drop procedure in my Clymer manual.
thanks

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

i'm really dismayed. # 1 and #3 cylinders continue to plauge this bike. Enough that i would just check and see what diff it made if i just removed the sync adjustment screws while it was running. Well, basically NONE. These are the cylinders that continue to run on the cold side # 3 under 200 and # 1 around 100 F. Did the same thing when i adjusted the other side and it killed the bike.

What besides carbs could be causing this. Fat spark on both cylinders, Cleaned pilot jets recently. Would readjusting the valves again help? I just dont know where to turn.

Jeff

81 rebuild

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page