1200 engine froze up - Page 5 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Still Learning

Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage
Post imported post

So is the bolt out? The 1200 have the cap on the on the rear case to access the bolt #6 on the parts fiche, use a 17 mm wrench to get it off. the bolt should be a 12mm head, use a 6 point socket on a rachet(3/8 drive). Set it to tighten(righty tighty) and see if the bolt is loose, if so tighten up and torque to specs,if not then you will have to pull and remove the rear case and check it all inside there.

http://www.teamecc.com/fiche_section...1984&fveh=3442

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido, Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
+1976 CB750K6 @25,000 was Dad's
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find restored
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 02:14 PM

Year: 1996
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Trike
Post imported post

Best of luck.

Llandudno Goldwing Light Parade 3rd September 2016
Llandudnolightparade.co.uk
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

I looked at that parts list, seems that a 1200 has a nut, mine has a bolt like item # 10 and a washer like #11...in this parts list for an 1100.....Bt here's where it gets jiggy....That bolt or washer on a non damaged case won't come out of the hole there....?????

http://www.teamecc.com/fiche_section...&fveh=3439

Claude....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The bolt is tight and you're right I can't get to the nut that removes the rotor. I tried backed off the bolt and then resecured it. With out striping the threads I pulled on the bolt and then tapped the starter. I can feel the wrench jump in my hand but the engine will not free up.

1993 Aspencade
1984 Aspencade
1989 1100 Shadow
2001 Wide Glide 88
1974 CB 750
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:58 PM

Year: 2002
Model: 1800 Goldwing
Post imported post

Just thinking out loud here. If I can remember correctly, I had a 1200 in a couple years ago and the shifter drum or linkage was jambed. If I remember correctly it was all behind the front engine cover. Help me out here 1200 gurus. Hate to see a engine get pulled for nothing. Tony

02 1800-PEARL CHROMIUM PURPLE ( ILLUSSION BLUE )
__________________________________________________ __
Tony or Anthony if your mad at me
post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I can turn on my switch on and with my indicator light shift up through the gears. When your drum or linkage was jambed. could you move the shifter lever? I'm with you on pulling this engine although I recently pulled the engine out of my Shadow to put in a water pump. I'm thinking I have the ability - just not as much desire.

I just opened up the cover on the right side of the engine to expose the drive gear and part of the flywheel hoping that I would see a gear or chain jambed. Nothing.

1993 Aspencade
1984 Aspencade
1989 1100 Shadow
2001 Wide Glide 88
1974 CB 750
post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Forum Toolmaster

Post imported post

Asp Rider wrote:
Quote:
I can turn on my switch on and with my indicator light shift up through the gears. When your drum or linkage was jambed. could you move the shifter lever? I'm with you on pulling this engine although I recently pulled the engine out of my Shadow to put in a water pump. I'm thinking I have the ability - just not as much desire.

I just opened up the cover on the right side of the engine to expose the drive gear and part of the flywheel hoping that I would see a gear or chain jambed. Nothing.

After reading through all of the scenarios of the possible problem with the engine I think you can be pretty sure it's located in the started drive or chain!!. If while cranking the engine you by accident shifted the transmission into a low gear ( like first ) the shock load in the drum could have snapped the chain, binding it up and locking it against the drum. therefor trying to move it in any direction would be " NOT"!!!. IT happened to me on my other 1200 wing. Seems to be a weak ling on these particular models. Sorry it happened to you, but your in the right direction.!!

"Just another quick note" the starter drum/drive and sprocket are internal of the rear case. didn't you mention in the first page that you could " Turn the starter drive/drum in onedirection but not he other" ??? and the starter is free turning???, If this is so you can bet that the chain is theproblem!!!. Just my 2 cents. your still going to need to pull the engine. It's easy to do. Line up your rear cover gasket first, don't pull the heads, and stay away from " Mom's home remedies on carbs"!!!!!!!..... Stick to the people who have proven results on carb cleaning methods. what works for some folks don't always mean that it works for others. justIMHO!!. SEAFOAM, STABLE, just to mention a few!!!. Did you know that you can D/I( Direct Inject)seafoam into the carbs!!. I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers hereJust trying to help!!. Allan

"I\'m the Dude Playin the Dude Disguised as the other dude!!!"
Previous owned machines: CB750four,KZ1000,KZ900,Titan500,550GT,750GT,305Dre am,Triump tiger cub, CZ, BSA, Norton, H1, H2, The lists goes on!!!!!
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 AM

Year: 2002
Model: 1800 Goldwing
Post imported post

flyboyziel56 wrote:
Quote:
Asp Rider wrote:
Quote:

After reading through all of the scenarios of the possible problem with the engine I think you can be pretty sure it's located in the started drive or chain!!. If while cranking the engine you by accident shifted the transmission into a low gear ( like first ) the shock load in the drum could have snapped the chain, binding it up and locking it against the drum. therefor trying to move it in any direction would be " NOT"!!!. IT happened to me on my other 1200 wing. Seems to be a weak ling on these particular models. Sorry it happened to you, but your in the right direction.!!

"Just another quick note" the starter drum/drive and sprocket are internal of the rear case. didn't you mention in the first page that you could " Turn the starter drive/drum in onedirection but not he other" ??? and the starter is free turning???, If this is so you can bet that the chain is theproblem!!!. Just my 2 cents. your still going to need to pull the engine. It's easy to do. Line up your rear cover gasket first, don't pull the heads, and stay away from " Mom's home remedies on carbs"!!!!!!!..... Stick to the people who have proven results on carb cleaning methods. what works for some folks don't always mean that it works for others. justIMHO!!. SEAFOAM, STABLE, just to mention a few!!!. Did you know that you can D/I( Direct Inject)seafoam into the carbs!!. I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers hereJust trying to help!!. Allan

Sounds like you are going to be busy. Pull the engine and let us know what you find. It does sound like the chain at this point now. Tony

02 1800-PEARL CHROMIUM PURPLE ( ILLUSSION BLUE )
__________________________________________________ __
Tony or Anthony if your mad at me
post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:17 AM

Post imported post

Asp Rider wrote:
Quote:
Oh, the first thing I did was to pull the starter out to see if I bound the chain or sprocket. All turn fine - one direction but no kinks or etc. Checked the starter and it's ok. With all of my rocking etc I have had the starter out.

Anyone have any ideas?

Guys, if you read the quote, he says that he can turn the starter chain in one direction, all the way around and the chain has no kinks. He cannot turn the other way. That tells me that the starter sprag clutch is working just fine and that the problem is not with the starter chain.

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:49 AM

Garage
Post imported post

Have neveroneapart but does anyone know if there's a problem with engaging transmission with driveshaft removed. Anything in output that can get out of alignment etc?

"Try to open your mouth a little WIDER when you speak..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page