1200 engine froze up - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

First I want to thank those that have helped me in the past. This Forum is the best.

I recently bought a 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade. It has been sitting for several years. I took my time cleaned it up - new fluids etc. Started and I have been riding it all summer. Recently I replaced a rear tire and while waiting for parts I pulled the plugs and flushed vinegar throughout the carburetors again to do another flush. (I did itwhen I purchased the bike to open up the carburetors and it worked great.)

I had my air nozzle out and blowing the vinegar out of the carburetor and out of the cylinders. Iwas turning over theengine with the starter and blowing out the cylinders whenIaccidentally kicked the transmission in tolow gear. WHAM The engine has been frozen since.

Even with the plugsout Ican not turn over the engine. I can put it in to neutral and spin the rear tire. I thought I mayhave bent a valve so I pulled the timing belts and turned the cams. Valves are not hung up but I could not move the crank.

I have been soaking the pistons with light oil and penetrating oil - I have tried pulling the bike. rocking it back and forth - I can't get the engine to free up.

Oh, the first thing I did was to pull the starter out to see if I bound the chain or sprocket. All turn fine - one direction but no kinks or etc. Checked the starter and it's ok. With all of my rocking etc I have had the starter out.

Anyone have any ideas?

1993 Aspencade
1984 Aspencade
1989 1100 Shadow
2001 Wide Glide 88
1974 CB 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Disfunctional Nimatode

Post imported post

Gosh...... the only thing that comes to mind is maybe the starter clutch is jambed...... since you knocked it gear as the starter was cranking. Maybe pull the starter and see if anything will free up. Transmission is free as you say you can find neutral and spin the rear wheel.

Don't want a deal with alot of flibiddy-flab or mumbo-jumbo...........

2003 GL1800 Illusion Blue
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the reply. I can turn the sprocket and chain with no resistance. One way because of the clutch. I'm scratching my head

1993 Aspencade
1984 Aspencade
1989 1100 Shadow
2001 Wide Glide 88
1974 CB 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to abodeen
Post imported post

I would guess that the vinegar washed the oil off the cylinders and caused the rings to score the cylinder and locking up the engine. It doesn't take much.

Any day above ground is a good one! Life is a journey that must be traveled no matter how rough the roads and accommodations.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

That could be it. I'll keep trying to get oil back on the cylinders

1993 Aspencade
1984 Aspencade
1989 1100 Shadow
2001 Wide Glide 88
1974 CB 750
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 PM

Post imported post

Asp Just curious, what was the vinagar suppose to do ? I know it's good for mineral deposits, but what in a fuel system ?

Good Luck Jim

Body and Bike in southern Georgia,heart and head back in the Del/Mar/Va.
Jim

"Member of lousy spellers of America"
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I had fuel that varnished in the tank, fuel lines, carburetors, etc. Only 2 carburetors were open - tank supply line was plugged. It was a suggestion from another member to open things up and it worked great. Not to strong to effect gaskets.

1993 Aspencade
1984 Aspencade
1989 1100 Shadow
2001 Wide Glide 88
1974 CB 750
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:00 PM

Post imported post

I doubt that the rings are seized to the walls. Did it stop immediately when you put it in first gear? How much liquid are you talking about here?? Possibly a hyd lock that bent a rod--but doubt it. Could be that the primary chain failed due to the shock of going into first gear. Could be a broken cog in one of the gears that jammed--even in neutral with the rear wheel able to spin freely.

That's a tough one.

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Yes it stopped immediately. There was very little liquid. I was using a syringe to put it in to the fuel lines and then pushing it through with light air pressure with an air nozzle. I was wondering about the primary chain as well. Bound it up some how. I can put the bike in gear and release it to push it with the clutch in so I'm not sure about transmission also with its on the center stand I can go through the gears but I'm running out of ideas. Boy I do not want to have to go after that primary.

1993 Aspencade
1984 Aspencade
1989 1100 Shadow
2001 Wide Glide 88
1974 CB 750
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

Still don't know what the vinegar was for... I've read as ideas for rusted gas tanks and dirty fuel caps and deposits in radiators... but the carburetors??? but like others have said, I don't think that is the problem.. vinegar all winter might do some damage, but for a few hours or a day... Not... something is jammed. maybe broken..

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page