Its running awful. GL1500 - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:19 AM

Post imported post

It has GOT to be the ethanol in the fuel in the USA. Most every carb complaint and problem seems to be stemming from there. It is not yet in our fuels here, and we never seem to have carb problems., Knock on wood.

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

So far, added a full bottle of seafoam in about a half gallon of new fuel. Ran it for a while. Blip throttle occasionally to get it up to 4k rpms. Its been running with seafoam for a day. So far, no improvement. I guess next thing to do is to take off the air cleaner and get to the carbs directly?!? Is it likely those slides or is it the float? I remember I can see the slides when I take off the air cleaner, but much harder to get to the floats.
Its been suggested to replace the fuel filter, which I think is a good idea since I'm in there anyway.
I don't think its even running good enough to take on the street.
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 01:20 PM

Model: 2006 Level 2 Gold Wing
Post imported post

There are other additives to use besides Sea Foam. My favorite is Marvel Mystery Oil.(Red Oil.) I put some in the gas tank before a long trip. Keeps it running great. Automatic transmission fluid will also work. Chevron Techron is stonger, and will clean better. Too much though and you might damage rubber parts. Another thing suggested a few years ago was to get to the air cleaner, and take the cover off, and remove the air filter. Start engine, and run up to around 2,500 R.P.M. Place a towel over intakes till it comes close to stalling. This is supposed to create a vacuum in the idle, and main jets that might clean them out. Good luck.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird

Model: 07 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

SailorKane wrote:
Quote:
So far, added a full bottle of seafoam in about a half gallon of new fuel. Ran it for a while. Blip throttle occasionally to get it up to 4k rpms. Its been running with seafoam for a day. So far, no improvement. I guess next thing to do is to take off the air cleaner and get to the carbs directly?!? Is it likely those slides or is it the float? I remember I can see the slides when I take off the air cleaner, but much harder to get to the floats.
Its been suggested to replace the fuel filter, which I think is a good idea since I'm in there anyway.
Dusty Boots helped me change out my air filter and fuel filterat Nassir 3 this summer on our 98 1500. He oiled the sliders with WD 40 and I sure noticed an improvement.

FWIW.

We own a 2007 Goldwing with 65,000 KM ( 39,000 Mi. ) on it.

The best part about owning a wing is you know what your next bike is going to be. ( We know, we just bought our 3rd Goldwing )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I opened the air filter and got to the carbs. The slides were certainly sticky and carb cleaner got them going. It still seems starved for gas. I am thinking to replace the fuel filter next, as the next easiest thing to do. The gas that was in it was a year old, and the alcohol in the gas can cause it to separate after a year. So I'm wondering if that might have clogged the filter. I tried blowing the filter out with carb cleaner, but didn't help much. I'll have to hit the stealer tomorrow morning and get a new filter.
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

SailorKane wrote:
Quote:
I have found the "most noticeable" effect occurs after the heavy treatment you describe.

I dump in a full can of Sea Foam when there is only about a 1/2 gallon of fuel in the tank. Run the bike a bit, let it idle for a long time pulling that stuff into the idle jets.

And then, just let it set for a day or two. Takes time to dissolve the junk.

I have had to lube/clean the slides just like you did once. So far, knocking on wood, I have not had to tear into the carbs themselves.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:21 PM

Post imported post

+1 on the petcock. Mine needed to be cleaned out. Running much smoother now. I like Seafoam, but I'm not sure it is the cure all that some are reporting. You may have to go into the carbs and clean them out. Good luck. Check your carb hoses if you go in there for cracks or leaks. It is a pain in the neck to get the carbs out, but it gets easier with each attempt (don't ask me how I know).
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:39 PM

Year: 97
Model: SE
Garage
Post imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
Quote:
It is not yet in our fuels here, ...
Are you sure Ken? I thought the same thing for a while until it was pointed out to me that there are tiny little stickers on Canadian pumps saying " May contain up to 10 % ethanol". Now I see it on pumps below 91 octane right across western Canada.

Lawrence

'97 1500SE
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

OK. Will try the fuel filter next, then the petcock and make sure its a good flow of fuel out of the petcock. Tomorrow....
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 06:46 PM

Post imported post

With the petcock, you want to make sure the fuel is shutting off when youturn the bikeoff.Look down inside the carbs to see if there is still fuel squirting in. It opens with vacuum and closes without so the pressure from the tank doesn't keep forcing it through.There was no sign of external leakage this time. Just saw the fuel continue to run into the carbs. At first, I thought I had dirty float syndrome whichboggled me since I just rebuilt the carbs, new fuel lines, cleaned the tank, new fuel pump and filter.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the petcock regulates the fuel pressure while your riding depending on the throttle/vacuum. At idle, you have less vacuum so the petcock is not completely open slowing the fuel down. If it's not working properly, you're getting too much fuel bogging it down and possibly giving you the problem your having.

Start with the easy stuff first. Like you said, seafoam, fuel filter.......

You may want to check your battery too. A bad battery will cause the bike to run rough. I learned that the hard waytoo. I did all the above, and believe it was my dead dry battery. I'll never know, just suspect.

Good luck.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page