Its running awful. GL1500 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

1994 GL1500. It starts on full choke, but running bad. If I reduce the choke, it dies. So it basically will only run on full choke. If I give it a little throttle, it dies, but I can apply lots of throttle and get it to rev up to 3 or 4000 rpm.

I've been letting it sit for two long. While I have ridden it briefly and started it about monthly, the gas in it was a year old, so I replaced it. I also added a little seafoam. Nothing seems to help.

Any ideas? Something stuck in one of the carbs, perhaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Anti-Guru

Model: '06 GL1800
Post imported post

Try a LOT of seafoam :P seriously, a bottle in a tank or stronger!

If you've got a good load of fuel in there now, you may want to try something a bit more aggressive than Seafoam to try to clean things out -- We have great success with BG44K as a general fuel solvent.

I recommend changing the filter BEFORE adding any cleaner (so that you're not washing the deposits from the filter into the carbs).

Once you've got your tank full of the good fuel/solvent mixture, you'll need to try to get all of the old fule in your float bowls replaced (either by buring off the old stuff, or just draining the bowls an allowing them to refill.

Don't be afraid to let em soak a day or so, but continue to exercize the demons with fairly regular throttle applications (as you describe) slowly returning the throttles to closed (like run to 3K then step-back in 200rpm increments to idle - seeing how far you get each time).

You may also wanna open up the air box and directly exercize the slides, using seafoam or a bit of the BG44K as a lubricant until they move smoothly to light finger pressure.

After that... if you can be certain that your spark, and vacuum systems are happy and tight, you may be looking at digging deeper into your carbs.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 06:26 PM

Model: 1999 1500SE Motortrike
Post imported post

A+ with Satans post. jimsjnx

"We are put here, to take care of each other"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

+2 on Satan's post.

I am working with my 1500's carbs right now. Same exact symptoms you mention.

I ran the bike out on a long run trying to get it to loosen up but no cigar. Ran out all the fuel down to a 1/2 gallon.

Poured in a full can of Sea Foam. Got it started (on center stand) and kept backing off the choke keeping the RPM below 2,000. Finally after a half hour, it would run at about 1,100 RPM and I just walked off and left it idling for about an hour.

When I checked it next, I took off the choke completely and it idled very smooth at 650 RPM. But, open the throttle a bit and 'poof!' it would die. Get it up over 2,500-3,000 RPM and it would continue to run fairly smooth.

Okay, the slides aren't working. Not quite ready to pull the covers off yet. I took it out and went into 5th gear at about 20 mph. Then I just kept up rocking the throttle back and forth for what must have been 15 or 20 minutes.

It is a bit better, not perfect, but encouraging to me. I will continue what I am doing for another week or two. IF that meets with success, I got off Scott free. IF not, then I will pull the stuff off the top of the carbs and start to pour in pure Sea Foam on the slides and start working them by hand.

IF that don't fix it up, then there are vacuum lines or diaphragms that need attention.

I like to divide up the problems bit by bit, not just charge into the bottom of it unless it is broke and truly broke.

4 years ago, I fixed a '94 GL1500SE with carbs that were grossly worse than what I have now. All with Sea Foam and a lot of patience. Took six months on that one, but it cleaned up and run smooth.

Sea Foam and other products are NOT an over night panacea for fixing stuff that is clogged up. give them time to dissolve the gunk.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 04:08 AM

Model: 1995 Aspencade 1500
Post imported post

Could it be a bunged up air filter ?
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 08:16 AM

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

As I read these post I have a couple of questions.

With the problems mentioned would you recommend running a bottle of this Sea Foam in a tank of fuel periodically as a preventive measure? Mayby once a month, every other tank, or something like that. Just a thought I had. I haven't had any issues with my 95 yet but preventive maintainance is much easier than having to fix something that could be prevented. What are your thoughts and ideas?

Don (Parman)

"Sappers Lead the Way"
US Army (Retired)
101st Airborne Division (Ft Campbell KY)
1st Calvary Division (Ft Hood TX)
2nd Inf Division (Korea)
54th Engineer Bn (Germany)
Member of Patriot Guard Riders IL/WI

Honorary Wild Rhino

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod (trout)downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw", so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

95 1500 SE
Mileage: 103472

2010 GL1800
Mileage: 3604
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 09:15 AM

Model: 88 GL 1500
Post imported post

I have a gallon of Naphtha. I bought it at Sherwin Williams paint store with my mother-in-laws discount.

I do not know what I will do with it. I will probably us it to clean my paint guns.

I like taking carbs apart to clean, but these damn carbs is a pain to remove and take apart.

I guess on could disconnect the fuel line (vacuum petcock), and run the engine till the carbs are out ofgas. Fill the line with some sortof mixture concoction of Seafoam, naphtha, and gas or other types of fuel cleaners. And, then try and start and nurse the engine back. May need to take the air cleaner off and prime with a little more gas to get and run engine to get the carb cleaning solution back out out the carb.

Texas _Foosman
1988 GL1500
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 09:26 AM

Post imported post

did you try looking at the drain hoses for moisture etc ,,they are located on the left front of the bike behind the cowling you will see 2 clear [brown by now] tubes with a black plug on the bottom with a small c clip just pull them off and you may find they are full. ther next step is just check the gas filter located under the gas door just to the right of the gas cap it may be plugged or to old to let the gas thru with a proper flow . just a couple of quick checks before you have to go in deeper ......
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 04:29 PM

Post imported post

Hi sailor , carbs are probably gummed up but try tapping the fuel bowls , might be a hung float.?
Check the fuel pump , filter and gas cap.
As for cleaners , if you can get a good dose into the carbs let them sit for a couple days then run her up and see if any improvement . If it seems to be comming back , keep running the cleaners through it until she is back to normal.

The Crazy 88
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 05:17 PM

Post imported post

Parman........My vote for a full can of seafoam on a full tank twice a year.

Burn 1/2 tank on Saturday.......let sit over night.......run other 1/2 tank on Sunday and feel good about your carbs. (you will)

Just my two cents,
RED

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page