Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbs Carbs Carbs, GL1100

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ARKnapp 
#1 ·
imported post

The Carbs on my 81 1100 have just never worked right.

I have had them apart at least 7 times over the past 4 years. When I got them, they had sat with gas in them for 9 years and some of the inner surfaces were badly corroded. I have replaced every possible o-ring, gasket, valve and seal and cleaned every surface, passage and jet. The worst were the press fit idle jets but after pulling, cleaning and reinstalling at least it idled good. I have synced them at least three times.

The issue is that sometimes, not all the time, under heavy load (two upwith luggage) accelerating, I get a miss and knocking. Most recently we took a long ride (3000 miles)up through most of the southern states and on the way back the mileage dropped to around 25 mpg from about 42 mpg.

yesterday I noticed on Craigs list a listing for 1100 parts and called aboutand got a full set 82 1100 carbs for $30. They are dirty but actually look in pretty good shape. So cleaning and rebuilding I will be going and swap out the entire rack when I am done.

Hopefully this will cure the problem.

Peter

See less See more
#4 ·
imported post

dsmastern wrote:
Maybe it's time to consider going to a single carb? :)
I thought about it, I even thought about running the dual webers, but my 75 GL1000 runs so smooth and fast with the stock carbs that I know I should be able to get at least the same performance out of the 1100 stock carbs. :action:

BTW, if I ever run across a dual weber setup for the right price I might try them on the 75.:dance:

Peter

#8 ·
imported post

I'd stick with what you have versus that rack. That rack looks rough IMO, but you're there with it and not me.

I'm with Dave and others, check them coils and ignition first...

#10 ·
imported post

hey thanks Peterbylt. gonna pull my carbs this weekend and do the rebuild

(I Hope) .I want to see your ride. My next prodject gl1000 naked.

Wingandaprayer Thanks for the welcome. I'm at bearrsand I 4.

ride safe.

#11 ·
imported post

under heavy load (two upwith luggage) accelerating, I get a miss and knocking.
-------------
For what it's worth. The miss sounds like a slow response from the ignition coil to the plugs, if you set your plugs with a wire feeler gauge not a flat gauge to the low space setting of specifications that will induce to the coil a lower spark voltage and a slight increase of the spark timing to the mechanical timing.

knocking
------
May be the timing advance mechanism sticking at near full throttle and advance is not as far forward as designed. Take a timing light and see if your getting a full advance. Look under timing near the end of the manual.

Tweaking the valves and timing ever so gently and with very little movement does help with loading, noise etc. Be sure the carbs are synched at idle to slow speed and in this I discovered more tweaking than what the book states ie. having them all equal makes a big difference.

As the bike sits there is nothing you can do about the timing other than set it as described, but the tweaking enables very fine timing adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.