1985 1200 Limited Not Starting-PLEASE HELP - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I just want to say thanks to anyone who can offer some advice. I have a 1985 goldwing limited that's fuel injected. It has sat bascially since 1997 and only has 18,000 miles. After working on it for a bit, I found out that the fuel pump was out so I fixed that. It turns over great and has good spark but won't fire up. If I spray some starter fluid into the cylinders it will fire up and then stall after it runs out. It has great pressure up to the injectors. I know this because I unbolted the injectors just a bit and gas sprayed out really hard. For some reason the injectors are not spraying fuel because the plugs are bone dry. I used a test light and there is power going to the injectors but they are not pulsing. After it fires up on starter fluid, the ECU reads that the left-hand camshaft angle sensor has an open circuit (3,1,0 LEDs are blinking with the "W" constantly lit). Ilooked over all thewiring andI found that a mouse had chewedthe plastic off of 3 wires going into the main fuse block,so I wrapped them. I did test them and they are still getting power all the way through so I'm not too worried about them.I guess my questionis does anyoneknow if a bad left-hand cam sensor would cause the injectors not to fire? Or, do you think that my ECU is not working properly. Thanks so much for reading this long winded article!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:46 PM

Garage
Post imported post

The ECU is "suppose" to allow normal fuel injection and ignition on only one cam sensor. Either one, or both. It's a redundant system.

Are you allowing enough time for the ECU to run through all it's trouble codes?

Keep in mind that "open" fault codes clear once the ignition is turned off, and will not reoccur until the engine is RE-STARTED.

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I believe that I gave the computer enough time to do a full code check. I would say that I left the bike on for about 4 minutes after it started to blink the first code. My main problem is that the bike will only run for a few seconds on the starter fluid so I don't know if that will effect the code reading. I have started it several times and get the same result. So you think that it should still run as long as it has one of the two cam angle sensors functioning correctly? I'm getting close to selling the bike for parts. It's a shame because I bought it from a 72 year old who bought it new in 1986. He gave me the original title, keys, manual, cover, and a set of original helmets that have intercoms and color match the bike. They are even in the original helmet protectors from honda. Thanks for the help again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I guess my main concern is that the ECU has been burned out by improperly jumping by the last owner. Does anyone know for sure if my test light should pulse when turning over the engine andhooked to the fuel injector hot wire? Also, could a ground wire going to the ECU or injectors be bad and if so, can I run a temporary ground somewhere? Thanks
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 PM

Make: Honda
Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer Send a message via Skype™ to neoracer
Post imported post

do you have the sei supplement to work with?

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY,ANY DAY YOU CAN RIDE IS A GREAT DAY"

86 SEI 93K 87 Aspy 129K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 10:24 PM

Garage
Post imported post

According to the book, it should run on just one cam sensor. The fact that it runs by adding an external fuel source indicates the injectors aren't firing, so you probably won't see a pulse with a test light. The reason the injectors aren't opening is because the ECU isn't grounding them. No pulse.

Since the diagnostic code function is still operating, and the bike runs by adding fuel, I wouldn't be too quick to condemn the ECU.

Do you have a supplement for the LTD/SEI?

Ooops, sorry Neo.

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks guys for giving me some hope! Now when you say supplement, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Could you please break that down for me? Also, should I tie in my own ground to the ECU just to make sure it has a good ground? If so, do you know off hand what color wire is the main ground on the ECU? I can always look at my wiring diagram. Thanks so much
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 02:04 AM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1500 SE
Post imported post

Don't sell this bike. Take into account the length of time this bike has been setting, with a little TLC this will be a great bike. The trouble shooting guide indicates that when BOTH sensors fail, fuel injection and timing will be stopped. Take off all the tupper ware and start checking all wiring/connectors, you found bad wires, there may be more. All the failures I have encountered with my LTD have been bad wires or connectors. I don't know if the manuals are still available on-line, I would be glad to put it on CD and send to you.

Kevin
1999 GL1500 SE

Belhaven #509 AF&AM 2B1 ASK1

1983 Honda Nighthawk 450
1980 CB750 Custom
1999 V-Star 1100 Custom
1985 Honda GL1200 LTD
1992 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
1982 Honda GL1100A
1987 GL1200
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 02:18 AM

Model: 1985 Limited Edition GL1200
Post imported post

Do me a favor and forget about parting the bike out!!! Honda only made a touch over 5000 '85 Limited Editions and judging by the amount of part's I've seen on E-Bay since 2005 I'd guess there is only about 4000 left that are roadworthy or awaiting some TLC in someone's garage!! We'll help you get her running, have paitience!! Also, you have a PM....

Don

1985 Gl1200 Limited Edition
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks guys for the encouragement! I did buy a Clymer manual and that's how I coded it out. I've wrenched and built just about everything and electrical is not my specialty, especially on a bike like this. My patience has always been minimal when it comes to anything with a fuel injection issue. One time the ECU gave me a code that wasn't in my book. the 3 and 0 were blinking together and the 1 would blink once for every 2times the 3 and 0 blinked. It hasn't done that for a while. Does anyone know what this means? I gues I should take off the front fairing and unplug the cam angle sensors and see how the connection looks.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page