GL1200 Water Pump Bad or Not Bad? That's is the Question - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hell all, I am slowly getting the 84 ASPY GL1200back together. Rebuilt the carbs, check the wiring, flushed and filled the entire coolant and oil system and put it to the test. She fired right up and sounds good for her old age. Not bad for having 130,000 miles on her.

However, when I let her get up to normal operating tempature I notice a high whining/ticking noise coming from the front part of the engine and now a redish liquid coming from the weep hole.

My question is, before I purchase a water pump and start tearing down the front of the engine cover, what should I perform to determine if the pump needs replacing or if it just needs new O-Rings?

Thanks for your help.

James Wynn
Titusville, Florida
1984 GL1200 Aspencade 130,000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:06 PM

Garage
Post imported post

If the fluid is coming from the weep hole you ar pulling cover as pump is bolted from inside. You can remove small 2 bolt cover and push impeller of pump (after draining antifreeze) any side play means pump replacement. If you are doing the work pulling cover I would replace pump.

"Try to open your mouth a little WIDER when you speak..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Senior Guru

Model: GL1800, GL1500, GL1200
Post imported post

I'm curious as to the colour of fluid leaking. If you are using say green coolant, the red leak could be corrosion in the pump mixing with it. The pump will need to be replaced anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for responding, the liquid is a reddish color. Very slimy to the touch. I placed a container under the leak to catch the fluid. The drops have been there for a couple of days now, still moist and slimy (Oily). Wouldn't antifreeze evaporate?

James Wynn
Titusville, Florida
1984 GL1200 Aspencade 130,000
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Post imported post

The red is rust from your water pump bearings.
The bad bearings have compromised your oil pump to water pump seal so oil is now washing through the rusty bearings and out the weep hole.
So it's time to pull the cover and replace the water pump, all the o-rings and the oil pump seal.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:57 AM

Post imported post

Replace it. No need to dig in there and then not solve the problem or have it go bad in a few weeks.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page