GL1500 Carb rebuild? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I have a 1989 1500 that is running rich at idle.
About a year ago I noticed that if ya didn't get the bike out of the garage as soon as ya got it started the fumes would get to you.
Before that I could start the bike and we could get our jackets and helmets on the ride it out of the garage.
I have tried running sea foam every other tank of gas but that hasn't made any differance.

It has a new air filter and the choke seem to be working correctly.

Today I deceided to pull the carbs to rebuild. When I pulled them apart, they were as clean as new. The float were set at 7.5mm.
The plugs look like the day I put them in.
The bike runs good, just the problem with it running rich at idle.
What am I missing, any ideas would great.

THANK'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

How old are the spark plugs?

Are you using 87 octane gas? Higher octanes will cause the problem you refer to because the gas does not burn completely before it is exhausted out the pipe. These motors have a low compression ratio, so 91 Octane is not better. It just raises the combustion flame point.

And lastly, are you being forced to use the higher concentrations of ethanol in your fuel? That stuff I don't agree with.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 04:40 AM
Older and Wiser

Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Post imported post

Did you check out the spark plugs condition before pulling the carbs? You could have gone to more work than you needed to by pulling the carbs, if say only the mixture needed adjustment.

Ben.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

one of the inrichment valves may be leaking a little gas past the stop position when you pulled the plugs had you the bike idleing for a while and if so what colour were they if clear and not sooty you may have an exhaust leak around the headders or the colloctor box

Peter

I have had dreams and i have had nightmares i now dont have nightmares because of my dreams
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 PM

Model: 88 GL 1500
Post imported post

Quote:
Today I deceided to pull the carbs to rebuild. When I pulled them apart, they were as clean as new. The float were set at 7.5mm.
If your plugs did not show any signs of a rich mixture, I would not have pulled the carb.

Many folks have the opposite problem on these 1500s. The dreaded "hesitation".

I would much rather have this damn carb run a little richer on this 1500. The notoriou hesitation is a very very bad nuisance.

Re-adjusting the floats or changing the jets would lean the F/A mixture. But, if you go too far, you would then have the lean dead spot hesitation. But, you said your plugs were clean.

I commend you for pulling the carbs. Many cop out and take the easy way out. For lean carbs, fuel additives such as Seafoam is used to hopefully clear the jets. tBut, there is much truth to this. I am not a fan of fuel additives, but working on these carb is a tremendous task. But, in your case, you are running rich.

Since you have already tackled Humpty Dumpty, I am sure you will try a lean/tweek the carb a little while you are there. If you do succeed, great. If not, try and try again.Many want to do itright the first time... for many, the first time is Seafoam for lean F/A mixtures.

Rebuilding the carb and going for the jugular is great, and hopefully it is done right the first and only time. What a pain. I hate these carbs.

Lastly, there was a service bulletin on these carbs 88 and maybe 89 carbs. Changes carb jets.

Texas _Foosman
1988 GL1500
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thank's for the reply's
I have been around carbs enough to know when something isn't right.
Something has changed to cause it to run rich at idle.
That is why I pulled the carbs.
While I have them apart I am going to boil them out to make sure they are clean, then I am going to rebuild them completely.

While I have them off I can check all the vacume lines and all connections.
I am going to change the jets while I have them apart to get rid of the slight stumble that it has.
Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone.
I will report back when I have installed and running.

Thank's again
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 PM

Post imported post

your petcock is dribbling fuel into the rt side manifold

91 GL1500
91 Electraglide
A prior Buffet of GL l000\'s,1100s\',1200s\'
had Some nice old 650 trumpets...(fun!!)
many dirt and streets..cant remember!!

Ask the wrench god 1st!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Honda Guru

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
Post imported post

By any chance have you checked the condition of your sub-filter. It's the one that's located on the right sideā€¦. close to where your knee would be located when riding. If they aren't replaced on a regular basis they will crumble and the debris will get sucked into the Air Jet Solenoids. Since they meter air to the carbs, being clogged will produce a rich condition.
Pull the sub-filter if you haven't changed it recently and see if it crumbles in your fingertips.

Ray
88 GL1500
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Anti-Guru

Model: '06 GL1800
Post imported post

Doubleeyes wrote:
Quote:
I have a 1989 1500 that is running rich at idle.
About a year ago I noticed that if ya didn't get the bike out of the garage as soon as ya got it started the fumes would get to you.
Before that I could start the bike and we could get our jackets and helmets on the ride it out of the garage.
I have tried running sea foam every other tank of gas but that hasn't made any differance.

It has a new air filter and the choke seem to be working correctly.

The bike runs good, just the problem with it running rich at idle.
What am I missing, any ideas would great.

THANK'S
In reading this thread (and skipping over the spammer' post) -- I didn't see any mention about setting the idle mixture (using Honda's recommended Idle Drop or other method) ...

... Just wondering if it could be that simple, that the idle mixtures have not been set yet (and are running a bit rich).

Of course, the other question, besides the 1500 puttin'-out a fair amount of yukky fumes... are you sure you're rich? A little lean miss will drop a whole-lot more unburnt vapors out the pipes... (so, no misses at idle, absolutely smooth - no questions, right?)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:11 AM
pr

Post imported post

mine is doing the same thing , it smell like a car that keeps dieseling after the engine is shut down, i hope you get some answers so i will know too.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page