GL1500 Petcock rebuild kit problem - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I purchased a spare petcock on ebay to rebuild for a spare. I then got one of the rebuild kits from Cyclemax. The large (vacuum) diaphram for some reason was too small and after an hour of trying to get it together, I gave up. I've rebuilt these kind of things before so it wasn't my first time. I don't know what may have caused this unless it had shrunk with age, or ??????. Has anyone else had this problem? I called them and stated my problem and they are sending me a new diaphram. Nice people to deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Older and Wiser

Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Post imported post

Probably just a bad kit you got. I used a cyclemax kit on mine some time ago and it worked.

Ben.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 AM

Post imported post

I used the same kit...worked great

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Deric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 AM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Post imported post

I used a Cyclemax kit on mine last spring and it worked perfectly. They will take care of you. Good company to work with.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

are you sure the petcock you got off ebay is off a 1500 wing and not some other bike

Peter

I have had dreams and i have had nightmares i now dont have nightmares because of my dreams
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:28 AM

Year: 1995
Make: Honda
Model: Interstate
Send a message via Yahoo to L8ndeb
Post imported post

If I recall, the firm that produced the first and I believe the second run had the incorrect deminsion for the diaphram. I ran into the same problem the first time I tried to rebuild mine. The newer ones are the correct size. It is possible that you got an older kit.
Here is a step by step procedure for the assembly if you would like it. I cannot take credit for it as I got it from another site, but it was helpful to me.

The first two pieces you want to join together are the two aft pieces, the end piece that the spring touches, and the piece that the large diaphragm rests on.

With the large diaphragm laying on the metal piece, lay it on a clean flat table. Place the spring on the diaphragm, the hold it firmly on the table and push the end piece down to seal the diaphragm. Since your holding it firmly against the table, the spring won’t push the diaphragm through the hole.

Now you have to lift that assembly off the table, holding it firmly together and mate it with the front piece. While holding everything together, put the screws in to hold everything in place.

Leyton at Reno
1995 GL1500I
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 PM

Year: 1996
Make: Honda
Model: '96 GL1500A
Garage
Post imported post

I just finished re-building mine with the same kit. The diaphragm was just BARELY large enough, but i finally got it to seal and work...

Good to know that there may have been some batches that were too small... Next time, I'll know to request assistance or a better sized part...

Working for a living is HIGHLY over-rated...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

agnogel wrote:
Quote:
are you sure the petcock you got off ebay is off a 1500 wing and not some other bike
Yes, although I got it on ebay, it came from Cyclemax. WhenI was on the phone with them they confirmed the part#.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page