Compression question and low 20mpg average, GL1000 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Alright all i have a question. normal mpg for my 77 is about 20-24mpg. and all i read this is about 10 mpg lower than average. It came with 1100 carbs and i bought the correct 77 carb and had Pete Boody overhaul them so I know the carbs are dead on. it runs good to me. I can open it up and quick acceleration, Starts easy even in 30 deg weather I have in Tennessee right now and have been riding it to work when over 30 deg F. Any who. I bought a compression tester to check compression. I wondered because when i got the bike off craigs list it has 1100 side covers and but correct 77 engine number. it also had spare headers with it so i have wondered if the previous owner had a problem.
I checked the compression with all the plugs out and the throttle open.
cylinder compression
1: 140
2: 90 to start. then tried couple more times and it got up to 130.
3: 145
4: 150

not sure about the readings. if this has something to do with the mileage or not. ok lets have some input if you could help me out.
would testing it after it has run to operating temp work better to check?

77\' GoldWing
76\' GoldWing work in progress
75\' Honda CB 360T -Just traded somethings with owner of a bike shop.
74\' Honda CB360-Craiglist trade and total restoration project for winter time(now parts bike)

Previous:
86\' Honda Rebel
07\' Suzuki S40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Post imported post

An operating temperature reading would be better.

How far are you going to work and at what speeds?

When riding my 1200 at near freezing temperatures around town I only get about two thirds the fuel millage I get in summer on the highway.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Work is about 5-6 miles from me. half the distance is on back roads and go about 30-40mph. then hit the 2 lane highway and get to 55 or 65 the rest of the way.

77\' GoldWing
74\' Honda CB360-Craiglist trade and total restoration project for winter time(now parts bike)

Previous:
86\' Honda Rebel
07\' Suzuki S40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

Compression should be tested with the motor warmed up and throttle wide open. All plugs removed.

Your compression numbers may be a little low, but the mileage, as you say, isvery low. I would expect 35mpg or more from that bike. Do you have any evidence of fuel leaks? Float problems?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Not that i know of...i am not seeing any fuel leaks. and i would think the floats are ok...I have been getting the same fuel millage last year right after getting carbs rebuilt. I had them professionally done by pistol pete or pete boody who is about 5 mile from me. he is one of randakks approved carb experts and several people locally say wonders about him. He did the 77 carb fix for me also. I would say the floats are good do to that. i use the recommended 2 oz of miracle motor oil in every tank.

77\' GoldWing

Previous:
86\' Honda Rebel
07\' Suzuki S40
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 PM

Year: 1996
Make: Aspencade
Model: 1996 Aspencade with a Friendship 3 sidecar & 1994 Special Edition
Garage
Post imported post

First off, trying a couple more times skews the test. To get the most accurate reading, let the bike set overnight so it is dead cold when you run the test. Next, lock the throttle in a wide open position. Pull all spark plugs, then crank the engine the same for each cylinder. If it cranks five revolutions to get the highest reading on cylinder one, crank exactly five revolutions on all the other cylinders. You have now completed a dry test.
When I worked for Jaguar, they told us that a variation of 8% between the highest and lowest cylinder was normal. More than that is a problem. I've always used the same range for bikes.
Now, squirt two or three squirts of automatic transmission fluid in cylinder one, put your finger lightly over the hole and crank two revs, then check that cylinder again. Now do the same on cylinder two, then three, etc. Holding your finger over it while it pops, spreads the oil uniformly over the cylinder walls. You have now completed a wet test.
Again, 8% is about the limit. If you find your compression higher wet than dry, it means you have weak or broken rings. No change between the two tests but a low reading, indicates a valve or head gasket is probably at fault.

SidecarMike
A motorcycle is like a cast iron skillet, it mellows with age, wash it and you destroy years of seasoning!
The Mistress, 1996 Aspencade & Sidecar 1997 Valkyrie, the Borderline Outlaw
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Post imported post

WingForChrist wrote:
Quote:
Work is about 5-6 miles from me. half the distance is on back roads and go about 30-40mph. then hit the 2 lane highway and get to 55 or 65 the rest of the way.
Egg sack lee.
Wait tell you get it on the highway in summer for a long ride and see how it does.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Ken. I did a boyscout benefit group ride last year and road about 60 mile on a loop and the police let us through all the stop signs and lights. it was cool. so a non stop ride i got the best mpg and it was right at 30 mpg.

77\' GoldWing

Previous:
86\' Honda Rebel
07\' Suzuki S40
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Banned

Post imported post

SidecarMike wrote:
Quote:
First off, trying a couple more times skews the test. To get the most accurate reading, let the bike set overnight so it is dead cold when you run the test. Next, lock the throttle in a wide open position. Pull all spark plugs, then crank the engine the same for each cylinder. If it cranks five revolutions to get the highest reading on cylinder one, crank exactly five revolutions on all the other cylinders. You have now completed a dry test.
When I worked for Jaguar, they told us that a variation of 8% between the highest and lowest cylinder was normal. More than that is a problem. I've always used the same range for bikes.
Now, squirt two or three squirts of automatic transmission fluid in cylinder one, put your finger lightly over the hole and crank two revs, then check that cylinder again. Now do the same on cylinder two, then three, etc. Holding your finger over it while it pops, spreads the oil uniformly over the cylinder walls. You have now completed a wet test.
Again, 8% is about the limit. If you find your compression higher wet than dry, it means you have weak or broken rings. No change between the two tests but a low reading, indicates a valve or head gasket is probably at fault.

Agreed. Compression testing should be done to a cold engine. Testing a warmed-up engine is essentially cheating yourself out of accurate results.

The manual says what Mike states above -test at room temperature with 5 or 6 revolutions per cylinder. Manual also states if below 142psi or a difference of 15psi between any two cylinders, then a tear-down is in order (your callon that ). Good tips for wet/dry testing. A leak-down test afterwards can confirm wet/dry compressiontesting.

Cylinder testinghas a "first come, first served" type of approach with no averaging in attempts. The first time don't lie, but the second time just might. Third time is a guaranteed "truth" or "lie", depending on what you're wanting to hear your self tell your self.

171 PSI is as new (assuming no carbonization/coking).

Edit:

In the Real World, both Hot and Cold routes used together have their merits. Cold testing and Hot testing. With the cold test, you get the base figure facts for referencing tolerences/conditions withing the combustion chamber against a hot tests operating conditions. Compared, there is insight to be gained just as with wet/dry testing. Relying on only one of the two routes should be with the cold test though, ...IMO, as heat-expanded components that are out of spec in a "cold" state are likely in a pre-failure/failure statethough still operational.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Ok...well i bought a 76 parts bike that showed a cold 90 on th #1 and 2.

did not test the rest. so i am wondering. if i do a overhaul? what kind of price am I looking at putting into it. Does not have to be accurate but would think about $800 if not more, but if around that i would be willing to put into it because i love these bike better than the fancier new ones. my love has always been for the old wings.

77\' GoldWing

Previous:
86\' Honda Rebel
07\' Suzuki S40
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page