1986 gl1200 clutch slave cylinder repair? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to snowman6454
Post imported post

Hi guys, I have read the honda manual to repair the cylinder, I looked at it and where it is and I kinda feel that there ismore to it than what is in the manual.

FYI: I don't have a lift to raise the bike up off the ground so is it as simple as stated in the manual? Does anyone have any tips that could make this an easy job? Anything to look out for that would cost many hours of time and frustration.

ANY informatin would great.

Thanks

Snowman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 02:19 PM

Post imported post

Snowman I had to rebuild mine and I didnt have a lift also. If you put it on the centerstand you can access it. I used a (and dont quote me on the size because its been awhile) 8mm ratcheting wrench to get at the bolts and make it easier. Its a little bit of a snug fit under there but it can be done. They didnt give us a whole lot of room behind the engine but its doable with some patience. The previous owner of my 1200 hadnt changed the clutch and brake fluids probably in at least 10 years ,so I had brown jellied brake fluidin the slave and master. The bad part was that because of what he didnt do caused corrosion in the cylinder of the slave due to the moisture forming on the metal under the brown jellied clutch fluid. So I had no choice as to rebuild it. To bleed the unit after I rebuilt it I used a Mityvac to get it bled and it took a bit to get it bled.

Old age is like fine wine,you just get better.
Honorary Rhino
Nassir 5
Nassir 7
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 02:24 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Post imported post

It's easy and most of the seals / rings are the same as those in a 1500s slave. I compared part nos. once.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page