Help on setting bead on car tire - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I decided to go over to the other side with a Federal FORMOZA FD2 175/60 R16 82H BSW for my 1500. Everything I have been reading on here, not the least of all money, convinced me to give it a try.

I mounted the tire myself (a bit of a struggle with just spoons) and got to setting the bead and it just will not fully seat on 1 side. I have 100 lbs. pressure in there and it still will not seat. I'm using a ratchet strap around the middle and valve core removed. I even sprayed in a little soapy water to no avail.

Another potential problem I spotted was that the old tire measured 6.375" (mounted) and the new tire measured (7") unmounted. It has always been tight to get the 6.375" MT out of there and I'm wondering if that is an issue with the CT.

My immediate trouble is to get that bead seated. Sticking 100 lbs. in it is making me nervous about explosion so please don't suggest lighter fluid. I'm hoping someone has a little trick I'm missing. I know this must be somewhat of an issue as I saw that Rudy had his up to 90 lbs. to seat. Thank you,

Keep it Shiny Side Up

Jim

--------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 08:08 AM

Post imported post

Lube the bead good and then try bouncing it off the floor (in a safe place and keep your hands out of the way) or putting it against a wall and whack the tread area with a sledge hammer. I have done this method successfully on stubborn tires.

I have seen an Internet video of someone squirting a little lighter fluid inside a tire and then throwing a match on it - poof, tire mounted itself. I have no experience with this method of tire mounting.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

The 'soapy water' may be too diluted.

Try pushing the bead that won't seat in towards the centre again, apply a healthy shot of WD40 on both rim /tire bead, then tighten up on the ratchet strap and try again.

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 08:23 AM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: 1800 Goldwing
Post imported post

Using bead lub is the recommended way. Have used either lots of times with many heart stoppingmoments but never ona bike wheel. 100 psi is way to high also.

02 1800-PEARL CHROMIUM PURPLE ( ILLUSSION BLUE )
__________________________________________________ __
Tony or Anthony if your mad at me
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Had the tire and rim sitting upstairs behind sliding glass door in the sun trying to warm it up. Another possible big mistake I made was I used bead sealer on it. It makes kind of a rubber cement kind of seal. That may be helping to hold it back along with cold temperatures in the garage.

I just picked up one of those air chucks that clips onto the valve (rather than have my jugular near it when it blows).

My plan is now to clean off the tire sealer on that section of the bead and to lube it up real good and give it another go. Thank you guys

Keep it Shiny Side Up

Jim

--------------------
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Banned

Post imported post

I've got no C/T to M/C experience, but at 100psi... just reading this is making me think twice about ever doing it in the cold.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Disfunctional Nimatode

Post imported post

Sounds like he's getting the beads to seal to get the pressure to build..... beads just won't pop. Give it a shot of wd40 and it will go. Shouldn't need to worry about the tire slipping on the rim if it seats that hard.

Don't want a deal with alot of flibiddy-flab or mumbo-jumbo...........

2003 GL1800 Illusion Blue
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 AM

Post imported post

The tire has to slide across the inner edge of the wheel to seat properly and the sealer is probably creating too much friction. Clean the bead sealer off and just use tire lube, silicone or soapy water.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Still Learning

Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage
Post imported post

I thought I read sometime ago that soapy water will cause the rims to pit?

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido, Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
+1976 CB750K6 @25,000 was Dad's
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find restored
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Yeah I read the same thing about soapy water causing the rims to pit and I usually only use it for slipping the tires on and off and checking for leaks.

In conclusion:

1. WD40 is what I believe did the trick (beat my soapy water)
2. I think warming the tire and rim also assisted (in sun). I wound up going into my basement to work on seating it. I think garage at 40F may have been a little too cold when it is that tight.
3. It did not push out (pop) until I had almost 100lbs on it.

My other question about the width I saw the answer to once the tire was inflated. I Measured my old Metzler 880 at 6.375" wide and once the CT was inflated it was at 6.25" (1/8" thinner).

Gentlemen, thank you very much for your help.

Keep it Shiny Side Up

Jim

--------------------
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page