Polk db501 install - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I have a gl1500 and purchased a pair of these to install in the fairing.My question is how did you install them I tried to install them but none of the holes lined up.Before I go any further I wanted to get some suggestions on how others mounted them thanks........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 2007 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

Another member, fireplug, just aded them to his 97. Take a look at post #32 on page 2 of this thread to see how he did it

Mike K.
Honorary Wild Rhino- Thanks Fly!!
97 Aspencade - Pearl White
Darkside Rear Tire- Austone 175R16
Double Darkside Front-Battl-Ax BT-45 130/70-18
2014 starting mileage- 60106

07 GL1800 - Crucible Orange Metallic
Premium Audio/Comfort/NAVI/ABS
Converted to California Sidecar Viper Trike.

Darkside #1659
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:35 AM

Post imported post

I bought the Pioneer speakers at my local Walmart. I believe they are the same size as the ones you bought and my holes didn't line up either. The easiest way to install them is to use a Dremel tool with a circular drum sander attachment on it. Just take a black Sharpie marker and draw a line around the the speaker opening all the way around. I just cut the hole 1/8 inch bigger all the way around. Actually I used the sander on the Dremel to make the hole bigger and it only took a few minutes to make the speaker hole bigger. I then put the metal tabs on the fairing and drilled a small pilot hole with a small drill bit and screwed the speakers to the fairing. After I had both speakers mounted, I found out that the speaker grill cover would not fit because the speakers are too big and they rub the bottom of the speaker grill. So I used the same circular sander attachment and sanded a flat spot on the bottom of the speakers until the grill fit. It actually is a lot easier than it sounds and I had the speakers installed pretty quick. The hardest part of the whole job for me was getting those plastic vents off the fairing.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page