Faster acceleration/ faster top speed, GL1800 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

We have a drag track here in SLC ut.
I just hate being left standing sure these are pocket rockets that do it but what is available for a 2001 , 1800abs Goldwing. Yes I am along distance rider 15-20k/yr but i still have the urge for speed any help?

Born 1941 stole my dads bike,1953,the pain from the crash was not as bad as from my dad inflicted. First bike a 1939 BSA, since then many. I have bought a 2001 wing.All new wing riders should have to do jet fighter training first.Took me 30min to start bike the key was in wrong position. Getting ready for my fantasy 4 corner run this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:39 PM

Garage
Post imported post

strap a rocket to it?

the thing weighs 800or more pounds a pasta rocket weights maybe half that with twice the snap and torque and horsepower

good luck

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to rOmiLaYu
Post imported post

more cowbell?

*Patriot Guard Rider*
~Standing For Those Who Stood For Us~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

Unless they have weight classes, your dead in the water.. and even then you'd need some nitrous and to lose the tupperware... compared to the pocket rockets, these touring machines have a frontal area like a barn door and a Cd of about 0.45... not made for speed (even though 120+ is faster than I need to go)

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

First The performance I get is wonderful! as you say for the power/weight ratio. But just saying no is not an answer. Since a kid in the 50's when I had an old used 1949 Vincent Black Shadow. This more than any thing set out my philosophy on biking., you do not just sit back on the couch and say no! We are all riders for different reasons, and Wing riders are no different. Yes we love the comfort of the long distance cruise with all of our convenient gizmos. However an occasional wishful return to that long ago youth is what motorcycle dreams are made of.This year at 70yrs old I am doing my 4corner, inc Wingding run, also completes my total lower 48 rides on the bike.All camping!!! Now why not a little more Snap on the throttle and out here in Utah where the roads were laid out with a laser straight edge a little more top end. Different strokes, more chrome not my bag more performance OK
Cwhonda
Hey y'all just keep on riding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Safely eh?

Born 1941 stole my dads bike,1953,the pain from the crash was not as bad as from my dad inflicted. First bike a 1939 BSA, since then many. I have bought a 2001 wing.All new wing riders should have to do jet fighter training first.Took me 30min to start bike the key was in wrong position. Getting ready for my fantasy 4 corner run this year.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 PM

Post imported post

Good luck on your run. I'm jealous.
There was a guy in Canada who invented a turbo kit for the 1800. Cost about $8000 and there were no takers. I've never heard of anyone re-mapping these. I have heard a rumor that Honda changed the mapping a couple of times and that by '06 they made about 5 more horses. I've noticed that my 4th gear top end is pretty close to my 5th gear top end. There might be a limiter programmed in someplace. That's just a guess.

2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Not just my eyes but my mind switched off when $8000 came up it was more than I paid for the bike!!!!
I still enjoyed my little wistful rant, this 2001 /1800 made my old Vincent suck big time!!

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

"Strap a rocket to it" now remember here in Utah we build the booster rockets for the space shuttle!!

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The " more cowbell" idea is like my mechanical abilities ,still does not go use a bigger hammer!!!

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:49 PM

Post imported post

I've seen this question asked a time or two on the gl1800 forum. There are just no aftermarket go fast parts available for the 1800. The only thing you can do is maybe go with cobra exhaust pipes for an added hp or 2.

You could strip it down to the bare metal and loose a couple hundred pounds. Add rear sets, NOS and an air shifter.

John
Still not sure what I want to be when I grow up.
I have 2 other bikes. 2001 GL1800 and 2000 HD Dyna FXDX. Can you say MBS?:
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page