Clutch master Cylinder, GL1200 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

My old 85 Gold Wing is beating me up. LOL Well my site glass went bad on my MC on the clutch side. So I file a dime down JB weld it in good and tight no leaks at all. So my rubber top needed replacing for the cap done that. I also notice when I cleaned MC it look like a dirt build up in it. So clean all that and bead the MC. So now I go to bleed the whole system using clean dot 4 fluid. Squeeze the heck out of the clutch then us a tie down to hold the handle open the bleeder that's drain into a cup filled with water I see some air bubbles once. I do close the bleeder valve before letting the lever loose. I have done this a few times now I think I am getting blow by in the MC because the fluid is turning brown again when it should be pushing the fluid threw if it works like any other MC as I have work on over the years. That's what I think it is being my fluid is getting dirty.

What do you all think. First Gold Wing been around the block once. It just haunts me I fix one thing and something else. LOL Life and it keeps going on.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:05 PM

Post imported post

Leave the bleed nipple open for a while Frank, tie the lever to the grip and let the old fluid drain out. Keep topping the MC up so it don't let more air into the line.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

magneto mike wrote:
Quote:
Leave the bleed nipple open for a while Frank, tie the lever to the grip and let the old fluid drain out. Keep topping the MC up so it don't let more air into the line.
Hello Mike

I sure will give that a try cause I can see fluid running when I open the bleeder valve. Just as soon as I get cool off. The heat and humidity in SW, Mo is a killer on me. LOL

Thank You

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

magneto mike wrote:
Quote:
Hello Mike

I did just what you said but when tied the lever down and open the bleeder it wouldn't bleed. But when I release the leaver it started gravity bleeding. I ran about 3/4 of 32 oz can fluid threw it. Close the bleeder top off the MC then fire the bike up.

Let it warn a bit It went in gear but kind like jump into gear gave it a bit of gas to see if it would engage and it did when the lever was about haft way out or more It wanted to go. I got to air the rear tire up its flat to take it around the block to see what happens. Don't want to get tires till I know this thing gonna work. Tires on my last of the list for now. I'm in a small town everything 50 miles or better away. LOL

Man its hot now I'm done till it cools down

Frank
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 03:07 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

Clutch bleeds backwards. Opposite of a brake.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 03:09 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Post imported post

What you are experiencing is so common. The problem is the master cylinder needs to be the highest spot. It is not. The banjo fitting is and the air gets trapped there with no way out. Put the bike on the center stand and even lean it to the right as much as you can safely. Now turn the handlebars to the far right and bleed as normal. Now the master is the highest point and it will work for you. Good luck.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Post imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Quote:
Clutch bleeds backwards. Opposite of a brake.
I see you edited your post Dennis.
I'm just wondering what manual you were reading.

This is from the Honda Manual.
Quote:
Air Bleeding

NOTE Check the fluid often while bleeding the
clutch to keep air from being pumped into the system.

Squeeze the clutch lever, open the bleeder valve 1/2 turn
while applying pressure on the lever, then close the
valve.

Release the clutch lever slowly and wait several seconds
after it reaches the end of it's travel.

Repeat the above steps until bubbles cease to appear in
the fluid at the end of the hose.

Tighten the bleed valve.

Fill the reservoir to the upper level.
It looks like the same as bleeding brakes to me.

And what redwing52 said is true, the outlet banjo joint is the high point of the system and will trap air if it's not brought level or bled separately.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

red wing 52 wrote:
Quote:
What you are experiencing is so common. The problem is the master cylinder needs to be the highest spot. It is not. The banjo fitting is and the air gets trapped there with no way out. Put the bike on the center stand and even lean it to the right as much as you can safely. Now turn the handlebars to the far right and bleed as normal. Now the master is the highest point and it will work for you. Good luck.
Hello Redwing

hope my ISP keep running. LOL trouble with today as well.

So by being it wants to jump into gear instead of going into gear easy means I still some air in the line. No I didn't have it on the center stand when I bleed the Clutch MC. I have a small cement pad I poured just to do that on being I don't have a garage it didn't off the center stand to well last time. I have a fix for that I think. LOL

So get it on the center stand and get the MC to the highest point that can be achieve and bleed the clutch with the lever right. I tried that melted but not on the center stand.

It kind of jumps into 1st gear when applying the clutch and I can take it all the way gears sitting still. Only jumps when putting onto 1st. I also can let the clutch out and it grabs hold about haft way out I thought it was suppose to grab around that area.

I am new at all this just and old guy trying to get some air. hey thanks for all the help.

Center stand OK going up is no problem lol.

Frank
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Post imported post

midnightrider1 wrote:
Quote:
red wing 52 wrote:
Quote:
Hello Redwing

hope my ISP keep running. LOL trouble with today as well.

So by being it wants to jump into gear instead of going into gear easy means I still some air in the line. No I didn't have it on the center stand when I bleed the Clutch MC. I have a small cement pad I poured just to do that on being I don't have a garage it didn't off the center stand to well last time. I have a fix for that I think. LOL

So get it on the center stand and get the MC to the highest point that can be achieve and bleed the clutch with the lever right. I tried that melted but not on the center stand.

It kind of jumps into 1st gear when applying the clutch and I can take it all the way gears sitting still. Only jumps when putting onto 1st. I also can let the clutch out and it grabs hold about haft way out I thought it was suppose to grab around that area.

I am new at all this just and old guy trying to get some air. hey thanks for all the help.

Center stand OK going up is no problem lol.

Frank
The jump and clunk when putting it into gear is normal as the spinning transmission gears and clutch plates come to a sudden halt.

For the lever engagement position make sure the lever pusher bushing is in good shape and for the air trapped in the banjo joint after bleeding on the side stand just stand it upright with the bars to the right and pump the lever. Any trapped air will be flushed back into the reservoir.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The jump and clunk when putting it into gear is normal as the spinning transmission gears and clutch plates come to a sudden halt.

For the lever engagement position make sure the lever pusher bushing is in good shape and for the air trapped in the banjo joint after bleeding on the side stand just stand it upright with the bars to the right and pump the lever. Any trapped air will be flushed back into the reservoir.

Ken

Hello Ken.

Sounds like the thing to do is stand it upright lean it to the right and pump the clutch and tap the MC. I think I got the MC done but I am gonna use your advice and do that. I have had a few bikes never a Gold Wing never no hydraulic clutch I thought I knew my way around hydraulics I guess that don't apply to Gold Wings cause the the MC is pointing upwards and you need it to be as level as can be and a little beyond I take it no problem I will give that a try. I was wondering about the jump and clunk like when putting in gear them sounds scare me. LOL Glad you said that's normal

Wish my internet was normal today.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page