ADJUSTING GL1200 FLOATS FOR DUMMIES - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

If you glue the pin on the float valve, then you can check the floats with the carbs laying flat...right?

I have a float valve that doesn't seem to want to seal anyway, so why can't I put some kind of glue on the pin so it won't depress,then move it from carb to carb, checking float height?

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

The problem I can see doing that is that you have no way to be sure how accurately the needle seats have been cut. It only takes a few thousanths of an inch difference to change the needle cut off point. Likewise different torque on the seats or a variation in the sealing washer thickness. Then there's the fact that the needles in use may not be worn the same amount. I don't think using the same needle solid or not is a viable way to set the float height, it really isn't all that much more difficult to set them with the carb rack set vertically.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Banned

Post imported post

...could work. What's wrong with standing them up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 PM

Garage
Post imported post

Also the valve hieght might vary between valve's it wouldn't take much variance to thro things off a bunch
Wilf

79 gl1000 dresser
80 gl1100I now naked
90 1500 full dress
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The trouble is, I can try for years and never get it right because the needle depresses differently every time you move the float.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Banned

Post imported post

...well, the way I do it is to up-end the rack on wichever side I'm working on and put enough tilt to it so that the floats brass bracket "just touches" the pin, then I measure and adjust as necessary to the manuals height from the carbs bowl gasket flange. I'll rock it back and forth a few times and recheck to see if the measurement remains the same.

Laying 'em down flat with a glued pin sounds like it would work to me, but the above is what I do...

Now, ...lets assume the floats themselves are all equal in weight and buoyancy. The above would work just fine. If the floats have any variance in either weight or buoyancy, then a measure of fuel height in the bowl is the next approach. This is how most other carbs are set anyway. The floats are adjusted to actual fuel height in the bowl and not to a specified assembled height. I've yet to do this on a GL though. I haven't found it necessary so far, ...but could be the way to go...? ...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:40 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Post imported post

If you really wnt to get fussy try this Dennis. I will leave you to your own devices but here is the scheme.

Find a way to mount the carb in a vice etc. With the float open use a tube to blow in the carb fuel inlet. Slowly rotate the carb while blowing until the needle and seat cuts your breath off. Cinch the carb carefully a little more at that point and measure. That should be more perfect than necessary.

Now, go drive yourself nuts!

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Well, as usual I couldn't duplicate a float position, and gluing the pin didn't seem to work because the whole valve moved in and out so freely. But after checking, and checking and checking several more times I think I determined that the guy at Old School Carbs had set the floats too low, and that would be consistent with the symptoms. (it had no top end power and would ping very badly at high rpm with full throttle)

The floats in theoriginal carbs were fairly new and seemed to be set a lot closer to 7.5 mm, so I put those in the new carbs. We'll see if it helps. First I have to locate the cotter pins, and upon close inspection I realized the Old School guy left the nylon washers out of the linkage, so I have to try and find 4 of those, as well.

This shouldn't be this hard.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:07 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

The thing is Dennis, you can't put floats from 1 carb into another and expect it to be right.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Yeah, I know Dave. But the level looked pretty good if I held the carbs just right and there is just so much guesswork involved that I took my best guess. I did have to adjust one float to match the others.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page