I Just brought back one from the dead.
1983 GL1100, This is a Canadian Bike, speedometer is in KPH, other tags are metric,
but it seem like the POS was not too too bad.
This bike has not run in 10+ years, and sat out in the rain as the engine was full of water, and rusty,
I may change it's name from POS, to Rusty.
All cylinders were filled with water, and Rusted, Frozen Motor,
I could not turn the motor over in 5th gear using the rear wheel, it was frozen solid, a one piece engine, a boat anchor,
I was going to tie the POS engine to a tree from a chain and let the local kids use it as a pinata.
OK here were the problems.
1. Frozen Motor, all cylinders were rusted
2. Starter Motor Bad
3. PO said Low compression on one cylinder
4. Carbs were in bad shape, really gummed up heavily Varnished.
5. Water Pump was bad, it had a lot of movement on the impeller
6. All Brakes were very bad, calipers needed complete rebuild, Rotors were rusted and badly glazed. New brake pads
7. Low compression on one cylinder, New Head Gasket, and 20w-50 oil fixed that problem.
8. Rebuilt Carbs
9. Adjusted Valves
10. New timing belts
11. Sync'd Carbs
12. Rebuilt Forks, and rear shocks
13. Removed Exhaust, cut off mufflers, put on some Harley Davidson Dyna Short Mufflers, It sounds great
The new mufflers Sound Great (Not Loud at all) But more of a deep sound, you can hear the engine cams, loping at idle, it really sounds good.
Got all this work done in less than a month, about two and a half weeks
This is now a Naked wing, and is much Lighter than it was stock as a Interstate model, as all extra weight has been eliminated.
All Items have been fixed. Plus all maintenance items not listed were done
This POS Bike, Now Runs Awesome, NOW!! Very Smooth, & Powerful.
Another Bike Saved, and Back On the road.
Just goes to show that these bikes are ROBUST.
Well today I started on the next one it is my brother in laws bike, another dead bike a 1978 GL1000, Non Runner.
This 1978 GL1000 has not ran in 16+ years.
I hope to be done with this one in two weeks or less
Today I striped the bike down Carbs off & striped down the carbs, & Pulled heads off, and yanked the engine out.
I am tired, time to rest
1983 GL1100 72K 32DFT Single 2-bbl Progressive Carb, and Runs Excellent,
1984 GL1200A 55K Reverse Trike Project, Single 2bbl. Progressive carb
1986 GL1200 Interstate, Now Naked, She just turned 43K
1988 GL1500/6 Phantom Grey 2-bbl SCC Trike Mustang GT Rearend, Rear Disc Brakes, HD Mufflers
2005 Burgman 650 20K
07' M109R 1855 miles 130hp 120ft lb torque Reverse Trike 99' Miata front suspension
2013 Honda NC700X 4k, AVG 77.68mpg
2015 Valkyrie, 4K miles Hot rod, Excellent bike