GL1200 seat not back far enough..pegs to far back??? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1986
Make: Honda
Model: Interstate
Post imported post

I have had my 1200 about 6 years now and I have been having alot of pain from arthritis in my hips and my riding position that used to be comfy is not doing its job anymore...I feel cramped and was wondering if I can change seats to get it to set back a good bit farther..behind the seat and on the hump is about right..there I can stretch out and be more comfy...just need to stretch out and take the pressure of my hip joints..I also have a yamaha v-star 1300 with driver floorboards...how can I get a similiar riding position on my goldwing...that does sound like a big change but can it be done...or close to it..any help would be appreciated very much...thanks in advance, Dave p.s. I do have highway pegs on the case savers and they do help but would like another option...

First Goldwing, my best bike yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Still Learning

Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage
Post imported post

Dave
If you have floor boards, they spread your legs wider than pegs do.
I found that was happening to me when I received my 1500 that had floor boards on it. I had severe hip pain and leg cramps and thought the same way, moving backwards would help. I put on pegs instead. No more pain(there in the hips). Much more comfortable.
If that is not your case, you can have a seat made for you to fit, especially if you are long legged. If you ride 2up that will cut into the rear seat area, but you can get a trunk relocator kit to move that back a couple inches.
Hope that helps.
God Bless

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido, Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
+1976 CB750K6 @25,000 was Dad's
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find restored
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Garage
Post imported post

i had my seat redone dave cost me about 250ish bucks but i tell ya its nice to be able to basically sit halfway where the passanger would sit

i dont haul a passanger and never will i built this bike for me to ride only lol

anyway what he did basically was make the whole seat the height of the riders position because under the riders spot is the seat pan a hunk of plastic not many options, other than redo the seat or find a corbin seat good luck

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 AM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
Post imported post

I knew when I read the head line of this post that he was talking about a 1200, I have the same problem. No pain, but only been doing short rides. I have the seat all the way back and if I put my feet on the pegs I have to hold my right foot up or ride the brakes all the time, the left foot is better but I wish the pegs were a few inches lower. Pegs on the engine guard (which I do not have)seem to far out to ride comfortably for me on short runs, maybe on the highway on long rides but I like my feet near the controls for safety reasons.

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Post imported post

One of the reasons I got the cafe racer seat off ebay for my 1100, a lot more comfortable being able to sit a bit further back

Wind in my hair flies in my teeth
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Vintage Rider

Model: none at present
Post imported post

I also have the same issue. The seat feels fine in relation to the bars, but the pegs are too far back. They cannot be moved forward because the engine gets in the way, one of the few problems with the GL design. Also, I am used to riding cruisers, with much more forward mounted pegs, and like that riding position, especially when combined with a riders backrest. But, the Goldwing is SO much better than my Ninja 500 that I'm not going to complain to much about it

"New vehicles move the body. Old vehicles move the soul. Vintage forever"
"Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore"
"The simpler the better"
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:46 AM

Model: 1976 LTD (X2) (two apart in VIN)..... 2008 Pearl White
Post imported post

Your engine is too wide.

As much as I love these bikes, its the cause of that problem. I would like to use my highway boards more, but Honda reduced the braking avalible on my hand lever to help save those who don't use it the right way.

Bill
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:48 AM

Post imported post

i have pegs on the case guards and i agree with jobe, not very safe. i read a post on here a few weeks ago that had somebody putting forward controls on a gl, available here http://www.northweststuff.com/jimscu...otcontrols.htm the thread is here https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...rward+controls

some of my past rides:
197? hd z90 sold
197? honda 500-4 traded this to get another engine for my first wing after the belt went within like 100 miles of buying it
1976 gl1000 dressed with all vetter sold
1985 gl1200 interstate sold
1986 gl1000 naked (traded this one to get the work done on my gl1200 sei
1983 magna vf750c (sold)
2010 vw trike (still trying to complete this one)

randy coffee
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Banned

Post imported post

...the only problem with any of the feet-forward stuff on a GL is that the valve covers get H-O-T.

I'm working on something for my 1000 and post pics when it's done. Should work roughly the same for all 4-cylinders.

The standard crossbar above the oil filter doesn't do it for me. Cooks my calves.

The footrests that attach to the valve covers are horrible looking IMO and a no-go either.

As for the seat issue, I recut the foam on a existing seat and moved my position back 2"-3". That worked fine for me. Proportionately long-armed and short-legged.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 03:59 PM

Post imported post

Rearrainging things will help but you might try a sheep skin .?
Backrests , footboards , all are great but i found that as long as my ass was comfortable the rest seemed to be ok.
The simple sheep skin on the seat will support , let breath , and most importantly smooth out the latent curves and ball busting front area of the seat.
Try it , its cheap .

The Crazy 88
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page