Backfire at start when warm, GL1200 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi,

'86 Aspencade, 79,000.
Recently rebuilt carbs, and installed a 'Poorboy's Alt. Kit'.
Prior to this it was sluggish, lot's of backfiring at start, and decel, top speed about 74mph. After working on it, it starts immediately (when cold), excellent response, 0-90mph in no time...I wont go past that! Just did a two hour trip this weekend and maintained a steady 80-85 on the highway, two up. Thanks to all the help and info on here!

However, when the bike is warm, even in the morning if I just ride to the gas station, when I try to restart it will just spin almost like it has no spark. Alot of times I'll let go of the starter button and a milli second later 'BAAM' like a 10 gauge going off. I'll try it a few more time, maybe touch the gas a little or give some choke and then close it, after a few minutes it just starts right up like nothing is wrong. In the afternoons when I'm leaving work it starts just fine. I'm in Arizona so temps are 85-90 in the morning, 105-110 in the afternoon. Any thoughts?

Only issue I know of that I haven't looked into further is while just playing around with everything I noticed if I pull the cap from spark plug 4 while it's running it has very little effect on the rpm, compared to doing the same on the other plugs. I swapped plugs 2 & 4 and the issue is still only on cylinder 4, so not the plug.

I get this worked out then I think I'll have to commit to doing shocks and forks, I've really started liking this bike. I appreciate all the info I've gathered on here!

Thanks
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:39 PM

Post imported post

Sounds like it may be a bit rich. The pop may be from raw gas in the exhaust? How do the plugs look? May want to check the compression in 4. You can also change the plug wires between 2 and 4 and see if that makes a difference.

03 Honda XR650L
84 GL1200 Aspencade

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

When I rebuilt the carbs the factory set screws were all 1 3/4 out except #4 which was 1 1/4. I set them from what I had read here and wound up dropping all down to 2...i think.

Will check plugs after work (sucks when it's 107 outside). Come this weekend when I can work in the morning..I'll swap the wires out.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page