Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1500 OverDrive Light/Low Fuel light

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  DriverRider 
#1 ·
imported post

1) Is there a kit to add the "OD" light to an '89 GL1500?

2) My low fuel light comes on nice and bright when I turn on the ignition. However, when I am actually riding and the light comes on, it is barely visible. I think the bulb is likely ok, but the low level of light, makes it hard to notice when it first comes on and therefore a bit of a challenge to know how much fuel you really have.

blkeatts

#4 ·
imported post

jnel57 wrote:
I believe that lower on gas the brighter the light
That is exactly how it works.

#5 ·
imported post

You are SOOOOO right. Black hole where the light should shine. Took a flashlight into the dark garage and pointed it at the spot and there it was.

Felt a big flush of red due to embarassment. I didn't get the owners manual when I bought the bike, so a lot is trial and error. I did get the service manual.

Thanks for the tip. Now, all I have to do is replace it and from the looks, 'taint no quick or easy task!

blkeatts

#7 ·
imported post

While your in there do yourself a favor and replace all the bulbs..Both pockets, dash vents, windshield and mirrors must come off to be able to remove the dash, speedo cable must be undone before it will come out also. Many on here have switched them out with led light bulbs too for better lighting including myself...If you do a search on the right for LED lights you will find threads on that...welcome to the forum!!!

#8 ·
#9 ·
imported post

You can change the O/D bulb without taking anything apart. I changed mine abe reaching behind the panel. It's tight but it's doable.

I agree if you have to go in there to do them all at once. But if the O/D is the only one you can reach it.

PS I have fairly big hands.

#10 ·
imported post

Is your fuel light still dim even when there is virtually no gas in the tank?(very common on the 1500s) If so you will need to change the thermister on the fuel pump assembly

#11 ·
imported post

Goldwinger wrote:
Is your fuel light still dim even when there is virtually no gas in the tank?(very common on the 1500s) If so you will need to change the thermister on the fuel pump assembly
+1, I just changed mine last month. Nice & bright now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.