front brake disc on an 83 Aspy - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I have a warped front disc on the left side on my 83 Aspy. I bought a set of used 83 front discs and the hub portion is different looking.My Aspy had a solid cast hub and the ones I bought have cast "spokes". I am gathering they are from an interstate? As far as I can tell they are the same dimensionally. Are they?

Can you turn a front disc to take out the warp like on a car/truck? Mine measure .385" (9.7 mm).

I have measured the thickness with a mic and they are similar, within reason,and thicker than the 9mm minimum.

The height from hub face to disc seems to be the same, eye balling them sitting side by side on the bench top.

Am I mising something or are they just a different Hub style and they should work fine?

1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 VT500C Shadow (sons)
1967 Honda 305 Dream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Older and Wiser

Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Post imported post

I don't know about the fitting, but I can tell you that getting them turned doesn't last very long. I had my rear disc done and got less than 2000 miles before the pulse through the brake pedal came back.

Ben.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Post imported post

The actual disc on an Interstate is a nominal 5mm and a different off set than the Aspencade so your 9-10mm replacements are correct.

As far as turning the old ones goes like Ben said it probably won't last and would probably end up under minimum spec. Add to that the fact that the disc surface to webbing will have thick and thin areas and will warp easily.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

OK, Thanks. Glad the lathe at the local autoparts was broke Saturday. I would have wasted some cash. I have the disc sanded to rough it up, mounted and got the new pads tonight so back together it goes. I'm still amazed by the collective knowledge of the folks on this site.

1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 VT500C Shadow (sons)
1967 Honda 305 Dream
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page