GL1500 Headsets in UK - which one - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Ageing Disgracefully

Garage
Post imported post

I am looking for a helmet intercom system that will plug into the GL1500 standard audio system but also will give me access to bluetooth and MP3 player. I cant believe that Honda even back in the 1980's and 1990's were so short sighted as to not include an auxilary input to the sound system.

I have been looking at J&M (too expensive) and Autocom (confusing) and Starcom who do just the headsets for £40 per set and do a Goldwing enhancement system that adds a lot of the interfaces I am interested in.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Starcom1 system working with the GL1500? We both have flip front helmets (Caberg Konda's) so will a boom microphone fit in these?

Steve

Steve Hennigan
GL1100DXB Interstate conversion 1984 - 1986
GL1200DE 1986 - 2011
GL1500K 2011 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:19 PM

Model: GL1800 abs
Post imported post

You can fit an input jack to the radio for PM3, instructions are in a thread in the Reference Forum.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:00 AM
Other side of the pond

Model: GL1800, GL1500SE, GL1200A
Post imported post

The Starcoms will work. Most riders with flip front helmets just bend the boom arm under the chin piece when it is in the down position.

Ted Kelly.
Current Wings; 2006 GL1800 & 1997 GL1500se.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Ageing Disgracefully

Garage
Post imported post

I checked out the input jack option for the base system and it all looked a bit scary to me.

I decided after much deliberation to go for the Starcom 1 system with the Goldwing Enhancement as it takes everything on the bike and adds multiple new inputs such as Aux in , Mobile Phone and Sat Nav and Bluetooth. Also it is British and the support is very good and fast turnaround.

The basic system and two headsets turned up last week and I fitted them before our run out to Brightona with Kent Wings. Fitting was a piece of cake as I installed it under the LHS fairing pocket and the aux leads come up with the headset lead and are available in the LHS fairing pocket itself.

Headsets were fairly easy to fit to the Caberg Konda helmets although there is very little room for the boom microphone in my helmet (big head ). I will need to carve out some of the polystyrene in the chin piece to make it more comforatble.
Sound qaulity is very good and clear but less bass than I would have liked (probably more a problem with my expectations re MP3 players than a problem with the headset).
Bluetooth comes via an add on module (will have to wait for my birthday for that bit ).

So overall very pleased with the headsets now and can get some music whilst on the go now. However I have now realised how bad the sound is on the tape deck so will need to look at that next (or use my new MP3 extention lead).

Steve

Steve Hennigan
GL1100DXB Interstate conversion 1984 - 1986
GL1200DE 1986 - 2011
GL1500K 2011 -
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page