Going to attempt using Dupli-color metalcast system on my GL1500 wheels… - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

View Poll Results: Should I red anodize the outer rim only or the entire wheel?
1. Do the outer rim only. 9 60.00%
2. Do the entire wheel. 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1997 Gl1500A with SE features
Post imported post

I'm going to attempt making my rims and final drive cover look like anodized red aluminum using the Dupli-color Metalcast system. I cleaned up my back wheel which was in horrible shape from all of the black grease and brake dust that sat on the rim for a period of time from apparent neglect and I'm just not happy with the splotchy look that it left (likely from the chemicals in the wheel cleaner I used). It took three seperate cleanings to get the wheels ready.

Now I could try to polish them but thought what the heck, let's try to anodize them in red to compliment the color of the wing (Candy Red Spectra) and while I'm at it, lets do the final drive cover too. I may even do the brake calipers while I'm at it or just use brush-on red or gold caliper paint on those. This system puts a colored clearcoat on chrome surfaces but will also work on less shiny metals such as cast aluminum if you first scuff then apply Dupli-color ground coat before the Metalcast paint. See the Dupli-color Metalcast system in action in the YouTube video I've provided below...

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/N5k5n_TL1g8&feature=player_embedded#!&hl=e n&fs=1[/flash]

I would like to hear your suggestions as to whether I should do just the outer of the wheel or the inside also. As you know, the outer portion of the outer ring is more of a smooth aluminum surface while the inside spoke portion and hub is more of a cast textured aluminum that's factory painted or powder coated grey. The grey portion of the wheel is in perfect condition so I'm thinking...leave that alone and just do the outer ring of the wheels...and of course the entire final drive cover. Any thoughts? I have included a poll above that will run for 5 days. That's the latest time I will be shooting paint. I really value everyone's input so please take the poll. I'm only going to get one shot at this.

I'll take before and after photos of my progression and post them in this thread.

I have also included a picture of a car rim that was done with the Dupli-color Metalcast as an attachment in this post. Visualize this same look on a red goldwing but with a lighter grey inner instead of the black as pictured. I think I like that look best but want to know what you think???

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gt3blackredpu5.jpg (211.0 KB, 519 views)

"Like I've always told you, if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish *anything*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George McFly

1997 Candy Spectra Red GL1500 Aspencade with SE enhancements, customized HaulMaster Tag-along trailer
~Kevin Moloney~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Here is an entire motorcycle wheel done. Idk, I'm kinda liking this look!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03262.jpg (110.7 KB, 520 views)

"Like I've always told you, if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish *anything*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George McFly

1997 Candy Spectra Red GL1500 Aspencade with SE enhancements, customized HaulMaster Tag-along trailer
~Kevin Moloney~
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Here is the same wheel outside. It really pops out in the sun doesn't it?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03267.jpg (85.5 KB, 511 views)

George McFly

~Kevin Moloney~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

They do look very nice when new!

You might want to ask them about how 'Chip Resistant' they are (colour wise)and get a written guarantee for it.

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 PM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Post imported post

Hey Kevin, you're a busy guy! I think I like just the outside with the red tint. The whole wheel like that is a little too much for my tastes. Of course my wife thinks all my taste is in my mouth.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Quote:
They do look very nice when new!

You might want to ask them about how 'Chip Resistant' they are (colour wise)and get a written guarantee for it.
Well DustyBoots, it is a tinted clearcoat. And I will keep them coated with a wheel protectant for lasting durability. And honestly, if they don't turn out well I'll just buy a newer set or just go with a set of chrome because I'm not happy with their present condition anyway. So I'm really looking at this with a "no lose situation" mindset. You know what I'm saying?

George McFly

~Kevin Moloney~
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
Quote:
Hey Kevin, you're a busy guy! I think I like just the outside with the red tint. The whole wheel like that is a little too much for my tastes. Of coarse my wife thinks all my taste is in my mouth.
Larry, I know what your saying about the too much red but keep in mind that I will have chrome rotor covers on the front. And I guess if I do go all red, at the rear maybe I should leave the final drive cover silver.

And what do wives know anyway? Tell her "honey, if you think I don't have taste, what does that say about me choosing you"?

George McFly

~Kevin Moloney~
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Honda Guru

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
Post imported post

I voted for the outer rim only…..

But I guess I just can't get past the idea that the bike doesn't run….. I'd be focused on that before spending money on pretty wheels. Or did I miss the post about how the new ECU worked great?

Ray
88 GL1500
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Yup .... know what you're sayin, Kev.

Only reason I made that comment is that I was going to get a set of red anodized metal brake lines (or was it aluminum billet air valves ) and when I asked that question, the reply I got was that they would chip and lose their colour eventually.

Don't know if/how they top coated the colour process of the item in question.

Just sayin.

I do like the look of them though.

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

rayworx wrote:
Quote:
I voted for the outer rim only…..

But I guess I just can't get past the idea that the bike doesn't run….. I'd be focused on that before spending money on pretty wheels. Or did I miss the post about how the new ECU worked great?
Okay Ray, my wing is down for the next 10 days until I can get another ECU to test. Should I sit around and stare at it and wonder if this 1998 engine with only 5800 miles on it will ever run? I think not. I would rather be proactive and get some other things done on it while I wait on a part. And the wheel is off now so why not anodize it while its off? And as for spending money, the cost to do the red anodizing to these wheels is a whopping $17 per wheel. Any other questions? LOL! Just picking on ya. But I do like to be proactive and do not like to think in a negative way. It will run! And when it does, it will purrrrrrr like a cute little kitten who just had a lovely dish of warm milk.

George McFly

~Kevin Moloney~
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page