Going to install a lighted override switch to my GL1500 console - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1997 Gl1500A with SE features
Post imported post

Tomorrow I'm going to install a lighted override switch to bypass the ECU of my GL1500 so that in the event that a problem develops with any of the safety circuits, I can still get home.

In the event that something goes awry while on the road, by tapping into the main pin of the ECU, I can by-pass any safety circuits that could prevent me from starting the wing. For example, a bad BAS, or bad Neutral sensor etc. This safety switch will only be used if the wing will not start normally. By overriding it, I can finish my trip and troubleshoot the problem once back on the home front.

The reason for using a lighted switch is so that I'm aware when I am riding with by-pass on, reminding me to fix the problem right away. If anybody cares to know the procedure after I have performed it, I will be glad to document and and add detailed photos.

I got the idea from Mr. Skaggs and now I'm going to do it.

"Like I've always told you, if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish *anything*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George McFly

1997 Candy Spectra Red GL1500 Aspencade with SE enhancements, customized HaulMaster Tag-along trailer
~Kevin Moloney~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:13 PM

Year: 1999, 1975
Model: GL1500SE GL1000
Post imported post

I like it. How about some specifics?

Terry

Don't own a Vanagon.
Don't work at Boeing.
Life is good.

1970 CB750
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500 SE
2002 VT750
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:16 PM
FM

Model: 91-I
Garage
Post imported post

I could be interested. . . now where did I put that popcorn. . . .
AHHHHHhhhhhh, a little snack while waiting for the show to begin.

Be sure to add pictures, clear well lighted pix's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

He's not the first, that is a me too thing.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

tlbranth wrote:
Quote:
I like it. How about some specifics?
Okay, I discovered this from my forum friend Dave Skaggs. When I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting spark, I learned that you can run 12 volts directly to pin 2 of the ECU and it will automatically give spark to your Goldwing and allow it to run, thus bypassing whatever safety circuit that's shutting down the 12v from your ECU and preventing the wing to get spark. When I did this, I immediately got spark. This eliminated the possibility of the ECU being bad but told me that something was wrong. My problem was that I had a bad connection from the #2 pin in the ECU connector to the #2 pin on the actual ECU which happens to be the pin that ultimately feeds the 12 volts to your coils. This is the Black & White wire on the connector.

So my install procedure will be the following:

1. Drill a large diameter hole into the Ignition switch console or other desirable location. The diameter should the same size as the diameter of the lighted rocker switch you intend to install. Now press in the rocker switch and set aside for now.

2. Next, disconnect the ECU harness cable from the ECU.

3. Now remove the ECU from the bike's frame and unscrew the 4 screws on the end of the ECU. (This will allow you to slide out the circuit board to gain access to the pins inside)

NOTE: The pin assignments are labeled on the circuit board as to what each pin is assigned to. (very convenient)

3. Next solder a wire to pin 2 on the ECU circuit board and NOT at the ECU connector.

4. Drill a feed hole into the ECU end (the end with the 4 screws) and feed the wire you've just soldered through this hole.

5. Now run this wire along the frame and up to the lighted rocker switch that you've installed in step 1.

6. Next attach the soldered wire (from ECU pin 2) to one pole of the lighted rocker switch. On the other switch pole, attach another wire and route it to the 12v auxiliary (+) screw located in the fuse box.

7. Carefully slide the circuit board back into the ECU case and secure it to the case with the 4 screws you removed in step 2.

8. Reattach the ECU to the frame.

9. Reinstall the ECU connector.

10. Enjoy your next ride knowing that you'll always get home.

There you have it. I will get more detailed on the poles of the switch after I've installed this so that it is 100% accurate. I will then produce a new thread with revised instructions and photos.

I will come up with a way to test the override switch before reassembling the ECU and mounting it back onto the frame and revise this post accordingly. Because the connector must be attached to the ECU to complete the circuit of the 3 yellow wires feeding voltage to the coils. (Thanks Larry)

PLEASE NOTE: This is the first time I have ever written a set of instructions for ANYTHING! So please forgive me if they're not to your liking.

"Like I've always told you, if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish *anything*

George McFly

1997 Candy Spectra Red GL1500 Aspencade with SE enhancements, customized HaulMaster Tag-along trailer
~Kevin Moloney~
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Quote:
He's not the first, that is a me too thing.
You've done this procedure before?

George McFly

~Kevin Moloney~
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 09:54 PM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Post imported post

Hey Kevin, have you actually tried starting your bike with the ECU plug disconnected from the ECU? I don't see how that could possibly happen. The ECU has to cause the coils to fire by the other three wires (yel/red, yel/blu, yel/wht). All you are accomplishing is bypassing the ECU plug to get power to the ECU. Unless I am missing something, that ECU has to be connected to make the coils send sparks.

I can see how that would bypass all the saftey interlocks and let the ECU get its power and make things happen normally if the ECU plug is connected so it can communicate with the coils and other sensors.

Larry

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

The purpose is to bypass the safety interlocks until you get home. That is all.

~ John

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Come to think of it Larry, I think the connector was connected when I bypassed the number 2 pin. I will have to give some more thought to how to test it.

The pin that I'm giving 12 volts to is the pin that feeds the voltage to the coils. Which is the very same pin that the "black & white" wire from the connector makes contact with when connected to the ECU.

Basically, when there is a problem with one of the safety circuits, such as the BAS, what the ECU is doing is shutting down the 12 volts going to the coils. That's really its only function...shutting down the coils and not giving you spark.

So what I'm doing with this override switch is saying, to heck with you Mr. ECU. I'm not letting you shut me down. Instead I'm bypassing you and giving my goldwing spark whenever I damn well please. LOL! Its amazing the things you learn when your motorcycle won't start!

George McFly

~Kevin Moloney~
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Quote:
The purpose is to bypass the safety interlocks until you get home. That is all.
You are correct. Although riding with the override switch on will likely not cause any harm, you shouldn't continue riding all the time with the switch on. You need to find out what caused the ECU to shut down spark. You could have a short in a wire which could cause a fire if not corrected. That's probably worse case scenario but why take a chance. Get it home and get it fixed.

George McFly

~Kevin Moloney~
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page