Difference between fog/driving lights and cornering lights? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1997 Gl1500A with SE features
Post imported post

Okay, I wound up purchasing a "cornering light" packagefor my goldwing gl1500 which presently doesn't have any. They fit into the knockouts in the bottom fairing, which are not yet knocked out, and are supposed to be plug and play.

My questions are:

1. How do the cornering lights function differently as that of thedriving lights?

My best guess is that cornering lights only come on when the corresponding turn signal is turned on (i.e. right signal on...right cornering light turns on, right signal off...right cornering light turns off,and vice versa with the left side). Conversely, driving/fog lights are controlled by a switch and are on all the time while your switch is on. Is this correct?

2. Next question...If my assessment of the functionality is correct as Isuggested in question 1 above, can I change the functionality of the cornering lights I purchased to become driving/fog lights by simply adding a switch? Are there anyadverse implications involved; such as, the bulbs in my cornering light kit are not designed to be on full time?

3. Final question...when these lights were installed at the factory, were they installed as cornering lights or as driving/fog lights? Or was either available as an option.

Please answer all three questions if you know. I truly appreciate any insight and contributions to this series of questions.

NOTE:My reason for purchasing the corning light kit over the driving light kit was that the cornering light kit was about $35 cheaper and my main purpose was to fill in those knockouts in the lower fairing with lights of some kind. But if possible, I think I would prefer fulltime driving lightsas oppesed to part timecornering lights.

"Like I've always told you, if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish *anything*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George McFly

1997 Candy Spectra Red GL1500 Aspencade with SE enhancements, customized HaulMaster Tag-along trailer
~Kevin Moloney~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 01:39 AM

Model: 1993 GL1500SE(P)
Garage
Post imported post

Q1 Yes (but I think illegal in the UK )
Q2 Yes .. you may want to consider a relay if the bulbs are high wattage.
Q3 Cornering Lights .. I have never bought a new GL1500 but I think that this was not an option.

Just my thoughts

1993 GL1500SE 114,000 and Rising
North East Lincolnshire, UK
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 01:52 AM

Model: 1997 GL1500 2007 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

kemoloney wrote:
Quote:
Okay, I wound up purchasing a "cornering light" packagefor my goldwing gl1500 which presently doesn't have any. They fit into the knockouts in the bottom fairing, which are not yet knocked out, and are supposed to be plug and play.

My questions are:

1. How do the cornering lights function differently as that of thedriving lights?

My best guess is that cornering lights only come on when the corresponding turn signal is turned on (i.e. right signal on...right cornering light turns on, right signal off...right cornering light turns off,and vice versa with the left side). Conversely, driving/fog lights are controlled by a switch and are on all the time while your switch is on. Is this correct?
Quote:
You are right about the cornering lights but the factory driving lights appear on the 98-00 and are always on, no switch.

2. Next question...If my assessment of the functionality is correct as Isuggested in question 1 above, can I change the functionality of the cornering lights I purchased to become driving/fog lights by simply adding a switch? Are there anyadverse implications involved; such as, the bulbs in my cornering light kit are not designed to be on full time?
Quote:
IIRC, the cornering lights are designed to throw more light to the side instead of forwards whereas the driving lights project more forwards but not much. The driving lights had a clear lens like the 98-00 headlights. And a switch can be added for either. But it is adviseable to add an auxilliary circuit instead of using the factory wiring. The circuit that these are added to especially for the cornering lights are also using the #3 relay for power. That circuit is pretty well loaded to begin with. The cornering lights only create a momentary draw on the circuit and it is only one light at a time. By converting the cornering lights to be on all the time, it creates a ful time draw on that circuit and eventually the relay will probably go bad or worse, the relay connectors could get overheated and melt.

3. Final question...when these lights were installed at the factory, were they installed as cornering lights or as driving/fog lights? Or was either available as an option.
Quote:
These were on the SE models as cornering lights up toand including 97. From 98 on, they became driving lights. If you see them on an Interstate or Aspencade, they are probably an add on by the owner.

Please answer all three questions if you know. I truly appreciate any insight and contributions to this series of questions.

NOTE:My reason for purchasing the corning light kit over the driving light kit was that the cornering light kit was about $35 cheaper and my main purpose was to fill in those knockouts in the lower fairing with lights of some kind. But if possible, I think I would prefer fulltime driving lightsas oppesed to part timecornering lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mike K.
Honorary Wild Rhino- Thanks Fly!!

07 GL1800 - Crucible Orange Metallic
Premium Audio/Comfort/NAVI/ABS
Converted to California Sidecar Viper Trike.

Darkside #1659
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 02:07 AM

Garage
Post imported post

To reduce the current I installed LED bulbs in my driving lights (and also in "my spotlights" )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1992.JPG (102.2 KB, 224 views)

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 02:13 AM

Garage
Post imported post

Just an excuse to post pictures of my GL1500
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2016.JPG (87.0 KB, 227 views)

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 AM
The Irish Crew

Post imported post

1. Cornering lights come on with the turn signals, ie left turn signal activates the left cornering light and right TS operates the right cornering light. Cornering lights were discontinued in 1997, from 1998 the gl1500 comes with driving lights that stay on all the time.

2. You can bypass the cornering light relays on the frame, and make the lights stay on all the time. There are more than a few posts on this already that have all the details.
The downside to running them all the time is that the bulb holders often burn out. Fitting lower wattage bulbs keeps the heat down.

3. Cornering lights up to and including 1997 models. Driving lights from 1998-2000.

Dave Heffernan.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 07:31 AM

Post imported post

My 93 has cornering lights that the PO had wired to be on all the time (actually they are thru toggle switches). I run with them on all the time and like the additional light they broadcast on the shoulders of the road.

I had ordered the driving light bulbs for my cornering lights because they were halogen and lower wattage than the incadescent cornering light bulbs but discovered they were not interchangable- the bases are different.

I think that the lens' are different, more diffuse (wider coverage area) on the cornering, more directional on the driving lens.

This is all conjecture on my part- I dont know if it's correct... perhaps someone in the know will chime in! I would like to try/see the driving lights on my bike and see the difference.

93 1500 Aspencade
81 1100 Standard
74 BMW R90/6
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1997 Gl1500A with SE features
Post imported post

After reading all the posts, im leaning towards installing my retrofit cornering lights as cornering lights and just adding small bullet style projection driving lights under the fairing. I dont want a bulky light bar with big rectangular or round lights that protrude out at each side. Maybe for a Harley but not for a goldwing. Its just my opinion but i feel that the cleaner the look, the more elegant the wing. I eventually plan to switch my headlight out with the 98-00 style headlight and add angel eyes HIDs. I think they look stunning and cast a nice amount of bright light. Anybody got a spare headlight for sale?

"Like I've always told you, if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish *anything*

George McFly

1997 Candy Spectra Red GL1500 Aspencade with SE enhancements, customized HaulMaster Tag-along trailer
~Kevin Moloney~
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 08:41 AM

Model: 97' SE, Two Tone Red --> 124,024 km as of November 2015
Post imported post

My 97 SE came with the standard cornering lights that as stated came on when the turn signal was activated. A couple of years ago I converted them to be on all the time as running lights. You can never have enough lights for the cagers to see. I think I posted how I did that but can't find it right now. It involved bypassing the two relays on the right side of the bike and installing toggle switches incase I want to revert. I will keep looking for that post.

Last year I changed the bulbs out to H7 LED just to increase the reliability and lower the current draw. Here is a post showing the conversion to LED.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/124101.html

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 08:51 AM

Model: 97' SE, Two Tone Red --> 124,024 km as of November 2015
Post imported post

Here is one thread on converting the cornering lights to running lights.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/106827.html

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page