Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rear shocks not holding air, GL1200LTD

849 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  DaveO430 
#1 ·
imported post

As posted before, I just changed my front forks, and at first got no reading on the air pressure dash gauge. Then after reseating the forks, it went to 5 pounds.

On the trip to Pa., I hit the auto switch for the air because it seemed to be riding low in the back, it went to 93 in the back. A few minutes later, maybe 15 minutes, it seemed low again, so I hit the auto button again and the dash gauge went from 93 to 52 and pumped it back up to 93, but the front went to 32.

I did this many times over the course of the trip and over time, I noticed the readings on the front would go up. The highest reading was 41 psi. As soon as the compressor would shut off, I would hit the decrease button for the front and immediately, the dash gauge went to 14, still twice as much as needed, but no matter how many times I could hit the decrease switch, it would not go below 14 psi.

The rears however wouldn't hold pressure for more than a few minutes.

Is there something related here?

See less See more
#3 ·
imported post

Also sounds like bad seals to me.

#4 ·
imported post

The rear shocks were fine till I did the front fork change out. I know they will go bad at some point, but it seems strange it would do this now, in conjunction with the high pressure reading on the from forks.

Are the air lines linked somewhere?

I'm quite sure they shouldn't be since the front is very low preside and the back is higher.

Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm on the road and no manuals here.......

#5 ·
imported post

Just went out and did a few checks on it.

No signs of leakage of fluid or air in the rear shocks.

I started the bike, took it off center stand and hit the auto button. Front went to 2, rear went to 93. Did a check on the pressures, front 5, rear 70. Assuming that the presisure reading is done in the line somewhere rather than in the shock itself. When it's done filling, compressor shuts off and you can hear air bleeding off, like the lines are emptying. Did not fel shock lowering, but if I hit check pressure again from full (93psi), I can fel the bike drop a notch and the reading will be 70. My guess is because it has to fill the lines that emptied when it filled last.

Decreased pressure in the from and rear again, hit auto. Did this about ten times, only once did it read higher in the front than it should have.

Set the front to 5psi, and manually filled the back shocks several times and let the air out, no effect on the front.

So....... Filter? Dirty lines? Drier?

#6 ·
imported post

Baggy, I agree, the shocks are probably original to the bike and based on the milage when I got the bike, has never been rebuilt.

When I get home, (in pennsylvania now), I will probably take one out take a look at it to see what parts would be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.