Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

'93 1500SE throttle sticking?

892 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SaiBeer 
#1 ·
imported post

Very strange throttle response on a 1993 GL1500SE. When the engine is off (not running) the throttle cables to the carbs are both smooth and solid. (the push and pull cables follow the carburetor response exactly). Nothing appears to be in the way of the throttle plate movement.
Different situation with the bike idling or running through gears - the throttle plate will not return completely and you can see slack in one of the control cables when the hand throttle is completely closed for just a second or so. The throttle plate returns to closed by itself (taking up the slack in the cable) after as much as one-second, but not much more than that. Very puzzled.
This started happening after replacing a broken pull cable. I replaced both cables and readjusted (balanced) the slack in the pull and push cables at the carburetor and hand throttle adjustments. The cable and throttle plate movement is very smooth, solid and quick wen the engine is not running.
I have disconnected the cruise control cable to no avail. There is also an electronic sensor in the throttle cable circuit from the hand grip to the carburetor that I have no idea how it could be hanging up the throttle response (and even less knowledge on how to disconnect or bypass it) - but stranger things have happened I guess.
Anybody got any ideas - clues - suggestions???
I have already tried the forum search and come up empty. Could be my limited knowledge of what this problem could actually be.

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

The throttle Pull Cable is actually Two cables (Item #2 in 1st image; #1 in 2nd)... connected together by the #5-widget in 1st image. Just a hunch, but it sounds like Widget-5 is the cuprit, by it introducing the Lag into the throttle's return to closed position.

Perhaps start over by loosenen the push and pull cables (thereby allowing Widget-5 and Cable-2 to return to their normal slack position for closed throttle), then re-tighten them while not introducing any additional movement to #5/2?

If that does not work, then check the honda manual to see how to service widget-5... I seem to recall that it can be opened for inspection.

#3 ·
imported post

Alex;
In order to install the pull cable from the hand grip I had to open the Widget #5 (called the throttle cruise cancel switch). There is a drum in there that the two cables ride on. When I tightened the cables back up I tried to pay attention to how the Widget reacted (tried not to tighten such that the pull cable moved going to the carb). It is entirely probable that I have misaligned something in that circuit as I do not know what to look for inside that widget to tell whether or not I have it set correctly and the Honda manual is pretty worthless as far as telling me in words that I understand what I should or could do to set that switch.
Thanks for the feed back though as I now know where to concentrate. It was really getting me worried as I had finally gotten the carbs rebuilt so that everything was running smoothly and the gas mileage had improved to 37mpg driving in town. I thought I had it beat there for a while. This is going to have to wait until this weekend as I have plenty to keep me busy already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.